Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer shuts itself down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Computer shuts itself down

Hey guys,

I'm getting this strange problem in Windows 7 where my computer shuts itself down for no apparent reason. I've never been around to see it turn off, so I have no clue what it is.

After it shuts-down, I can't turn it on via the front button without switching off the power-supply and switching it back on again.

It's never happened within an hour, so it could be overheating. Then again I haven't installed the latest bios updates so it could be the bios. Or it might be the motherboard or power supply. I've checked the Windows power settings, so I doubt it's ths OS.

I've got an Asus M4A89TD-PRO-USB3 Motherboard, an AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 and a Huntkey Titan 650W PSU...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Computer shuts itself down

Could also be some strange settings in the energy options. Did you already check that? Also, did you already look into the Windows event log?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Though why post on a linux forum and not a windows forum?

Beans

Moin Moin from Germany,

with only this much information it could be hard to tell what could be the reason for your problems... But there are some hints that made me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Da CalebMan View Post
    I'm getting this strange problem in Windows 7 where my computer shuts itself down for no apparent reason.
    You mentioned some things like, not latest Bios Update, Drivers etc.
    I would mention to get the latest Drivers / Bios for the PC to be on the safe side.

After it shuts-down, I can't turn it on via the front button without switching off the power-supply and switching it back on again.
    Well this seems to point in a complete different direction. Have you ever tried to change the power suply or the battery/ies? Cause if a CPU of Windows doesnt get enough power, it shuts down.
    So i am guessing that there is some kind of "short-circuit in the power supply" ...

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Well this is all that comes to my mind ... hope it helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have the exact same problem on the media center computer in my bedroom.

Everything is up to date, and I recently upgraded to a new motherboard.
    I was surprised when the issue remained.

I just deal with it, but I'm pretty sure my power supply is to blame.
    May be your problem too.

overheating alone would cause the computer to power itself down, but only cooling time, or resetting the bios would get the system to power back up, if overheating was the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Check that all your fans are cleaned out and not being all clogged up by dust.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

It's a PSU issue, I'm willing to bet money on it

I've experienced the symptom of not being able to switch on via the front switch a few times before. When you flip the rear psu switch or pull the power cord for a couple of seconds and then try again it works fine.

When you buy a PSU get a Corsair or Antec. Check your bios setting for funny power settings etc first though. Ideally test with a loan psu from a friend etc before spalshing out $$$.
    I have a new spare lying in the cupboard I only use for testing PSU issues.
    Last edited by mips; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I agree.

If overheating was causing the issue, you would have to reset the bios, or wait for the system to cool before you can power it on.

Having to turn the PSU off then on, has nothing to do with overheating.

It is possible for the motherboard to be the problem, but I would start with the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    It's a PSU issue, I'm willing to bet money on it

I've experienced the symptom of not being able to switch on via the front switch a few times before. When you flip the rear psu switch or pull the power cord for a couple of seconds and then try again it works fine.

When you buy a PSU get a Corsair or Antec. Check your bios setting for funny power settings etc first though. Ideally test with a loan psu from a friend etc before spalshing out $$$.
    I have a new spare lying in the cupboard I only use for testing PSU issues.

Beans
    Distro

I've updated the bios, which took a bit of effort, and it seems that the problem's fixed. It hasn't shut itself down since. I won't mark as solved yet in case it's not the issue.

Thanks for your help guys

Beans
    Distro

Overheating and dust are the most likely issues. I had the same problem till I put on my esd strap and blew out the dust.
    Dell Inspiron 1318 | Intel Processor | Running a much hacked and patched windows vista and windows 7 in VirtualBox and dual-booting into ubuntu with Gnome and KDE installed on it. | Ubuntu wins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast