Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Ubuntu 11.04 broke my macbook6,1 NO FIX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help Ubuntu 11.04 broke my macbook6,1 NO FIX

Quote Originally Posted by alphadogg123 View Post
    I assume you mean to get this from another macbook6,1 user without this issue.
    I mean to get it from both a user with this issue and one without so we can compare the differences in the outputs to see which variables are potentially corrupted.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Were you able to make some progress?

Your posts got me thinking...

I have the same problem, but only with an iMac, as I mentioned.
    I've got also a Macbook with which I didn't try to install Ubuntu 11.04. The only thing I did so far, was to compare the size of the EFI Firmware on the hidden partition. It is exactly the same size of my corrupted EFI Firmware from my iMac, which endorse the flag-theory.

Maybe I'm able to produce an output from the working EFI firmware and I can observe some changes.

But on the other hand...
    You already tried to flash the original firmware from the standalone folder...why didn't it overrid the flag?
    And, if we are able to detect some changes in the firmware, how can we apply changes to the firmware, if flashing it without an apple firmware isn't working?

Appendix:
    Another thing I'm thinking about is the number of failed boot operations. It depends on how many partitions you made before trying to install Ubuntu.
    I formatted and partitioned the hdd several times since then. If it's only a wrong set flag in the firmware, why did it preserve the information of the old
    partitions...
    Last edited by zaebo; July 29th, 2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Appendix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This might sound silly, but have you tried formatting your OS X partition and reinstalling lion...? I had some issues after installing 11.04 (I dual boot ubuntu and OS X) and ended up having to just reinstall. Luckily most of my stuff was backed up so i didn't lose much data, but the reinstall restored all the defaults to the various files and such and both ubuntu and OS X worked fine afterwards. I did not have this issue that you are having so I can't say for sure but it seems like it would work just as well as it did for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I send my MacBook to apple service (guy from Apple support said that he can't find firmware for 6,1 so I must send my MacBook to service, they will probably replace motherboard; my warranty was expired 5 days ago, but he said that they will replace it under warranty terms, because expired time is very short), so when I will get it back I will do trick with dmpstore and I will send You firmware from hidden EFI partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    I send my MacBook to apple service (guy from Apple support said that he can't find firmware for 6,1 so I must send my MacBook to service, they will probably replace motherboard; my warranty was expired 5 days ago, but he said that they will replace it under warranty terms, because expired time is very short), so when I will get it back I will do trick with dmpstore and I will send You firmware from hidden EFI partition.
    guys have you tried to re run the live cd and remove ubuntu off your system maybe it'll go back to normal?

Beans

Smile Re: Help Ubuntu 11.04 broke my macbook6,1 NO FIX

First of all yes I tried the commands that were in this thread, didn't really understand the code system so I didn't execute any others, they seemed to run but didn't save the log to somewhere I could see it.

Allsixcolours, there are several other threads on and off this website linked to this issue. I really wish it was so simple but yes I did it yesterday, you wouldn't believe how many times It restarts during an os install. oh and BTW its possible to run the app store version of lion from a USB and do a fresh install.

nadro you awesazing guy.

Yes I did, I then mounted and deleted the ubuntu GRUB that installs to the efi partition, made no difference whatsoever.

Thanks for keeping the thread active guys!

(BTW the avatar gets changed back either when ubuntu comes up with a solution for this issue or apple does)
    Last edited by alphadogg123; July 31st, 2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: change

Beans

I can dump the variables from firmware.scap for comparison with Zaebo's, I have an iMac 8,1.

Beans

Smile Re: Help Ubuntu 11.04 broke my macbook6,1 NO FIX

Quote Originally Posted by johnmurrayvi View Post
    I can dump the variables from firmware.scap for comparison with Zaebo's, I have an iMac 8,1.

I'll speak for Zaebo , Yes Please, this issue seems to be effecting a lot of people although not everyone is missing a firmware file. Any help of this nature would be appreciated by me and I hope the rest of the community.

Beans

Odd
    I was able to install 11.04 on the same hardware in a dual-boot config without any problems.

Differences/ My process

I use SL, not lion
    I partitioned the drive with disk utility
    installed the loader on the same partition as as Ubuntu

Use rEFIt as the bootloader

Everything works as expected no problems booting into either OS.

Could be an issue with lion, could be that you installed the loader on the wrong partition.

If you can get into lion try to add rEFIt bootloader and see if that makes a difference

http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c1s1_install.html

If you don’t want to use the installer package, you can do a manual install instead. This section explains how to do a manual install to your Mac OS X installation volume, which requires no additional volumes or disks. It is possible to install rEFIt elsewhere; see the following sections for that.

Here are the steps for a manual install:

Download the “Mac disk image” or any of the other two binary distributions from the home page. Double-click to mount or unpack them.
    Copy the “efi” folder from the rEFIt distribution to the root level of your Mac OS X volume.
    Open Terminal and enter the following commands:

cd /efi/refit
    ./enable.sh

When prompted, enter the password for your user account.

If everything went well, you’ll see the rEFIt boot menu on the next restart.

Note: If you get a message saying “No such file or directory” in the last step, then you didn’t put the “efi” folder in the right place in step 2.
    Root level is just the top directory of the hard drive. (i.e. click on your hard drive and put it right there. also has library and such folders)
    Last edited by blane2; August 1st, 2011 at 08:40 AM.

Beans

Here's my MacBook Pro 5,1:
    mbp51-efivars

And here's my iMac 8,1:
    imac81-efivars

Interestingly, you can load EFI variables from a file using the command:
    Code:
    dmpstore -l

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast