Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to netatalk 2.2 Beta

Beans

Question Upgrading to netatalk 2.2 Beta

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 server for time machine backups (amongst other things). The newly released MacOS Lion version requires netatalk 2.2 (Beta) for time machine backups to work.

Is there a reasonably simple way to upgrade netatalk to the latest 2.2?

Thank you,
    Nikos.

Beans

Re: Upgrading to netatalk 2.2 Beta

I am in the same boat.

Netatalk 2.2Beta4 is in the Ocelot repository, so we may be able to install that with minimal pain. I'm going to give that a try tonight.

Beans

please let me know how you did it if you succeed

cheers,
    nikos

Beans

FWIW, I googled netatalk 2.2 ubuntu 10.04 deb, and installed the deb file I found here. When prompted in the expanded install dialog, I entered N twice to preserve my config files. It probably wasn't necessary, but I rebooted, and Time Machine was working and afpd -V on the command line showed I was using 2.2beta4. Hope this helps.

Beans

Brilliant! Worked for me too - thanks ZTuck!

Quick note - I had to download this file instead (amd64 arch):

https://launchpad.net/~stefanor/+arc...+build/2455195

and I installed using:

dpkg -i netatalk_2.2~beta4-0~ppa1_amd64.deb

Cheers,
    Nikos.

Beans

Worked for me too, thanks guys!

Beans

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Thanks for the link, saved me from building from scratch.

To build on what's already posted above for anyone looking for a step-by-step guide:
    1. Open a terminal shell.
    2. You need to find what architecture you have to determine what build you need. You can get the CPU info by typing:
    less /proc/cpuinfo
    I'll assume you're using the Intel i386 build. If not, you'll have to change the target that you download.
    3. In the terminal type
    wget https://launchpad.net/~stefanor/+arc...~ppa1_i386.deb
    Assuming, as mentioned, that you want the i386 build.
    4. In the terminal window type:
    sudo dpkg -i netatalk_2.2~beta4-0~ppa1_i386.deb
    When prompted enter your password.
    5. When prompted, enter N to keep your existing config files. Otherwise you'll have to set your shares up again.
    6. Reboot the server.
    7. Reboot the Mac. OS X Lion, as reported elsewhere, apparently caches the settings for connected servers and may report that it still doesn't support the necessary "lock stealing" protocol.

POTENTIAL ISSUES
    a) If you get an error on connection reporting "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details!" check your AppleVolumes.default file (locate which one is being used by running sudo afpd -V). In particular make sure the cnidscheme is set to dbd

b) If you still get the error edit AppleVolumes.default and make sure that you have tm in the options list for your TimeMachine backup mount point, ie:
    /mnt/Terry TerryTM allow:terrytm cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm

Edit your /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to have the following default options:
    - -udp -noddp -uamlist uams_randnum.so,uams_dhx.so,uams_dhx2.so -nosavepassword

c) If you tried doing a backup prior to these changes make sure the disk isn't still mounted & hidden by opening Terminal on OS X and typing:
    ls /Volumes
    If you see the backup disk listed there you can unmount with
    sudo diskutil unmountDisk /Volumes/WHATEVERTHEDISKISCALLED

d) Make sure you don't have a share set up that overrides the defaults for your timemachine backup, eg. if you have a user account with the home directory set to the timemachine backup directory and also have a AppleVolumes.default general user entry that precedes your backup entry and doesn't include tm in the options then it will supercede your preferred settings and won't work. (Ask me how I know )

Beans

Supposedly, a non-beta version of 2.2.0 will be hitting Sorceforge soon. How hard is it to build a package like this and produce a deb?

Beans

Great work Sepult and nkonstas!!!

Works great for me. Sepult, your troubleshooting section came in handy since nothing worked until I added the TM.

One other quick note is that if Time Machine does not see your share, make sure permissions are setup correctly on the remote folder. I just created the folder, so I accidentally still had mine set to root. Whoops.

Overall, pretty painless setup! Thank you!

Beans

3. In the terminal type
    wget https://launchpad.net/~stefanor/+arc...~ppa1_i386.deb
    Assuming, as mentioned, that you want the i386 build.
    I need a URL for an AMD64-based target. The i386 build won't install on my Ubuntu 10.04 obviously. Is there someone out there that can post a pointer to such a debian package? Thank you very much.

EDITED: I found the package. Helps a lot to read previous postings more closely than I did. As nkonstas points out in post #5 above, It's at:

https://launchpad.net/~stefanor/+arc...ppa1_amd64.deb

Installed this version of the package and got TimeMachine on OS X Lion functioning properly.

P.S. I guess I'm getting too old for this crap.
    Last edited by rbm0307; August 4th, 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: failed to read previous posts closely enough. Duplicate info.
    - Robert

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast