Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cisco Valet Connector AM10 in Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cisco Valet Connector AM10 in Ubuntu 11.04

The correct driver is either ndiswrapper and the included Windows XP .inf file or the Linux driver rt3572sta. As the man at the corner store says, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. If it's working satisfactorily with ndiswrapper now, then that's a prefectly valid method. It's easy enough to temporarily try the Linux driver:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo rmmod -f ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe rt3572sta
    iwconfig
    Did a wireless interface, ra0 perhaps, get created? Can you connect? Is it better or worse?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am a new Ubuntu user...so new that I know enough to get lost but not how to find my way home!

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 in dual-boot mode on my laptop that is also loaded w/ Vista (I will not detail the steps it took to complete that process. Lets just say at this point, based on the installation process, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any better than Vista). After finally getting Ubuntu loaded, updated, and driver for my wifi card installed (using an Ethernet connection) I have absolutely no wireless connection.

I am using a Cisco Valet router that is hard wired to my desktop and on my laptop (booted in Vista) I connect wirelessly. The Cisco Valet has a USB setup key (not the AM10) that I ran to set up connection on the laptop the first time. As with the AM10, the setup key is only supported by Windows and Mac.

Here is my question: will the wonderful work that you accomplished here work for me or do I need to go down a different road?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ljmartz View Post
    I am a new Ubuntu user...so new that I know enough to get lost but not how to find my way home!

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 in dual-boot mode on my laptop that is also loaded w/ Vista (I will not detail the steps it took to complete that process. Lets just say at this point, based on the installation process, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any better than Vista). After finally getting Ubuntu loaded, updated, and driver for my wifi card installed (using an Ethernet connection) I have absolutely no wireless connection.

I am using a Cisco Valet router that is hard wired to my desktop and on my laptop (booted in Vista) I connect wirelessly. The Cisco Valet has a USB setup key (not the AM10) that I ran to set up connection on the laptop the first time. As with the AM10, the setup key is only supported by Windows and Mac.

Here is my question: will the wonderful work that you accomplished here work for me or do I need to go down a different road?
    Hmm, probably won't help you much! What's the model number of the WiFi card you're using?

You might want to make an account here and ask him to help you. But we'll see:

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modes...hp?p=6057#6057

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, probably won't help you much! What's the model number of the WiFi card you're using?
    According to the lspci -v command I am running a Broadcom Corp BCM 4311 802.33b/g, Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 Wlan Mini-card.

According to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...kCardsBroadcom
    the 4311 is supported but there is no mention of the Dell Wireless 1390 Mini-Card.

I did find a helpful piece of info in the above referenced link that states that on dual-boot machines that the wireless card has to be active in Windows before booting to Ubuntu or the card will not work in Ubuntu. After trying this technique, I at least have the wifi light lit on my laptop, but the network options still do not show any wireless network options.

Beans
    Distro

According to the lspci -v command I am running a Broadcom Corp BCM 4311 802.33b/g, Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 Wlan Mini-card.

According to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...kCardsBroadcom
    the 4311 is supported but there is no mention of the Dell Wireless 1390 Mini-Card.

I did find a helpful piece of info in the above referenced link that states that on dual-boot machines that the wireless card has to be active in Windows before booting to Ubuntu or the card will not work in Ubuntu. After trying this technique, I at least have the wifi light lit on my laptop, but the network options still do not show any wireless network options.
    If you'd like to get your Broadcom working, please post a new thread including:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    rfkill list all
    dmesg | grep b43
    I'll be happy to help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

If you'd like to get your Broadcom working, please post a new thread including: Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280 rfkill list all dmesg | grep b43
    New thread in this forum?

Beans
    Distro

New thread in this forum?
    Yes, please.

Beans

I've read through this post and a couple others and I'm still confused. Everything I've tried here hasn't worked. Did anyone get this thing to work?

The device I have works with win 7, win xp, linux mint 13 and linux mint 14 pretty much plug-n-play so I know the device is working. I'm trying to get it to work on a headless (non gui) nas device (seagate goflex home) that has debian squeeze installed. The problem is it has an ARM processor (marvell) rather than an i386/i686 processor which, I suspect, would not be able to load and run a widows driver.

So I'm lost as to how go about what steps I need to take to get it to work.
    modprobe -l indicates the following 5 kernel modules are loaded
    root@GoFlexHome:/home/maihoa# modprobe -l |grep rt2800
    kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800lib.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800pci.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800usb.ko

root@GoFlexHome:/home/maihoa# modprobe -l |grep ndis
    kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rndis_wlan.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/usb/rndis_host.ko
    When I try to run usb_modeswitch I get an error

What am I missing? Can anyone help me with this? I realize I'm not running ubuntu. Any ideas or thoughts other than it can't be done would be appreciated.
    Last edited by maihoaomv; January 1st, 2013 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maihoaomv View Post
    I've read through this post and a couple others and I'm still confused. Everything I've tried here hasn't worked. Did anyone get this thing to work?

The device I have works with win 7, win xp, linux mint 13 and linux mint 14 pretty much plug-n-play so I know the device is working. I'm trying to get it to work on a headless (non gui) nas device (seagate goflex home) that has debian squeeze installed. The problem is it has an ARM processor (marvell) rather than an i386/i686 processor which, I suspect, would not be able to load and run a widows driver.

So I'm lost as to how go about what steps I need to take to get it to work.
    modprobe -l indicates the following 5 kernel modules are loaded
    When I try to run usb_modeswitch I get an error

What am I missing? Can anyone help me with this? I realize I'm not running ubuntu. Any ideas or thoughts other than it can't be done would be appreciated.
    A couple things to check - are you running the latest version of mode_switch? I'd be stunned if the processor is the problem. What does lsusb return? I would really suggest posting here: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modes...hp?p=4884#4884 Mr. Modeswitch has been very helpful to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234