Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning Off "Eye Candy" / Speeding Up Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Turning Off "Eye Candy" / Speeding Up Ubuntu

yes I was just joking. Netbooks are generally slow processors, and little RAM. Turning off services that aren't required can help. Additionally, as it's an older machine, you can get different distro's which are streamlined for older units (or units that don't have as many resources, like netbooks).

Another thing you could do is use some less resource intensive applications (alternatives for oo for example), and lighter desktop environments (like xfce).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I am running 10.04 LTS on the very same netbook and I have just written a phd thesis in LaTex and all my statistics etc in R. This computer is not underpowered in any way. However I am loathed to upgrade to Unity or Gnome 3 (I have tried them out) because 10.04 runs so nicely, and the newer versions just don't.

As for suggestions, maybe install gnome 3 and try fallback mode or try 10.04 (using metacity).

Good luck.
    A0753 8GB RAM 60GB SSD x64 12.10 GNOME 3 E520 * 4GB RAM 6TB RAID x64 12.04 GNOME 3 * ASROCK 330 2GB RAM 4GB CF x64 XBMCbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks all,
    you've been a great help.

I've discovered Ubuntu wasn't taking advantage of my SSD drive, and some other fast components, and also I had no SWAP space, so I fixed these and now it runs birilliantly

Once again, thanks very much to all who have posted,
    Luke
    Thanks in advance for all replies, & if I helped, you're welcome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12