Thread: Command Line Based RTS

Beans

Command Line Based RTS

Are there any command line based Real Time Strategy games or any code bases that could be easily adapted for one?

Beans

Re: Command Line Based RTS

If you meant Real Time(ish) RPG, there's Nethack. Not exactly the same, but maybe some good ideas there.

Beans

I'm trying to wrap my head around a RTS game that runs completely from CLI. I can see how a turn based game would work but an RTS without a GUI would be pretty... difficult.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs down Re: Command Line Based RTS

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around a RTS game that runs completely from CLI. I can see how a turn based game would work but an RTS without a GUI would be pretty... difficult.
    Amen to THAT

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I found a real time game that runs on the command line. The game is atc, for air traffic control, and it is part of BSD games. What makes the game real time is that the next action cycle happens weather you do something or not.
    Last edited by BurningSludge; July 22nd, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: adding information

Beans

I can easily picture a real-time game that runs directly from CLI. MUD's come to mind. I can also easily picture a turn based game where you type in commands using a grid and coordinates. But attempting to type in coordinates in real time at the speed of most RTS's would be pretty crazy.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether