Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

AMD or Intel processors for laptops

So which is best in your opinion?

I might get a new laptop next year and I'm wondering which one I should go with. I'm mostly concerned with heat... as my old laptop had MAJOR overheating issues and it had an AMD processor. (Although it may just be because I had a Compaq.) From what I've heard, AMD tends to run hotter than Intel, but I haven't really found any data online to support this.

I have a friend with a Mac Book Pro (I want one, but they are WAY out of my price range) and I was surprised at how little the heat it gives off. You could fry an egg on my laptop after watching a single YouTube video. Anyway, it appears that Apple uses Intel processors, which might have something to do with it. Also, System76 uses Intel processors and I've heard great things about their laptops.

Right now I'm leaning towards an Intel processor, but I don't know too much about hardware.

Oh.... and I have two more questions...

1. How do you know how many cores an Intel processor has? Laptops with Intel processors never seem to want to tell you online. I was looking at some laptops with i7 processors, but they wouldn't say whether or not they were dual core or quad core.

2. What are some laptop brands that I should definitely AVOID? Rather than fighting over which brand is the best, I want to know what I should stay away from.

Thanks if you made it this far.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans

Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

You should chose Intel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

dont buy the bargain basement sub $500 laptops.

my own opinion is that my laptop should be light and still have at least 4 hours of battery power. heat is subjective and all about design. my netbook never gets hot except for the wifi card under the palm rest. look into a model's processor the smaller the architecture and lower that wattage the cooler it usually runs.

these days I dont worry about speed or chips, the lowest crap models are fast enough. all i want is battery power & decent keyboard.

Beans

I've always had a much more stable and powerful experience with Intel, and their new line of core processors (i3/i5/i7) are just amazing. Hands down, awesome- and pretty cheap for the most part. Also, Intel's GPUs are very well supported under Linux. Intel HD cards provide some of the most issue-free graphics experience I've ever had on Linux, and they're good for gaming, too.

So I'd say getting a light laptop with an i5 and Intel graphics would be a good idea. Also, AMD doesn't really do as well with video encoding and 3D rendering on Linux for me as does Intel's processors. Intel just puts a lot more effort into Linux development, honestly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well if no one else is gonna vouch for AMD I guess I could.... AMD isn't bad I've dealt with AMD and Intel I'd say it depends more on your RAM and GHz(or in my case MHz) it's probably more because you bought a compaq, they're just cheap HP's, HP is a great brand just not very Linux friendly at first (mine had some major config time XP). But System76 or Zareason would both be good options as they're optimized to run Linux without any trouble, also try going for Nvidia GPU if you can ATI sucks bad from my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Wow! I left this thread for overnight and it got a lot of posts! Thanks for all the responses, guys. It looks like most people in this thread like Intel processors better.

I've read all of the responses, but I don't want to make my post super long, so I'll just quote one thing here...

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    dont buy the bargain basement sub $500 laptops.

my own opinion is that my laptop should be light and still have at least 4 hours of battery power. heat is subjective and all about design. my netbook never gets hot except for the wifi card under the palm rest. look into a model's processor the smaller the architecture and lower that wattage the cooler it usually runs.
    Hehe... oops. I seem to have left out one key detail.

I was getting some printer paper in Staples the other day when I noticed how cheap some of the laptops are compared to the price of my Compaq a few years ago.

The laptop I plan to buy will be a pretty CHEAP one.

There are a lot of cheap Acer laptops. Are they any good? I hadn't heard about them until recently but apparently they're pretty big in Europe. The price is enticing, but I don't want to have another Compaq incident.

If anything, I'd like to get that System76 netbook, but that's only a maybe.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heobeo1210 View Post
    You should chose Intel.
    If you go and talk bad about something, give a legitimate reason for doing so.

Intel
    Intel is the number one CPU manufacture in the world, when it comes to laptop / Desktop computers. Sure they make some good processors like the Core I X series. But they take overprice for their work, compared to performance.

AMD
    A lot of people looks upon AMD as being a second rate product. Because people "once upon a time tried Intel as their first CPU, and has never tried anything else." Its like "i ate a burger once upon a time on MacDonals. So now i NEVER EVER eat another place". Its pathetic, annoying and childish. I go where i get most for the buck. And here AMD 85% of the times, gives more UMF for less $.

Unless you need a state of the art gaming machine, with the top 3 CPU,s on the benchmark tests. Go with AMD. They make good products, and use the leftover $ to give your gf something pretty =) or w/e. I myself will go AMD next time i change hardware.

also try going for Nvidia GPU if you can ATI sucks bad from my experience.
    But word has come out today that AMD is going to kill off the ATI brand name in favor of using the AMD name. According to Anandtech.com, the company cites internal research (although they didn’t dish out all the details) for the reasoning, but basically surmises that the AMD brand name is stronger and better recognized than its ATI counterpart. Also, the subcategory brands of Radeon and Fire Pro have solid consumer awareness without the ATI name being attached to them.
    Did you once upon a time, eat a burger somewhere and never changed again? Or is this recent (within two years or so)
    Last edited by Drenriza; July 18th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

If you go and talk bad about something, give a legitimate reason for doing so.

Intel
    Intel is the number one CPU manufacture in the world, when it comes to laptop / Desktop computers. Sure they make some good processors like the Core I X series. But they take overprice for their work, compared to performance.

AMD
    A lot of people looks upon AMD as being a second rate product. Because people "once upon a time tried Intel as their first CPU, and has never tried anything else." Its like "i ate a burger once upon a time on MacDonals. So now i NEVER EVER eat another place". Its pathetic, annoying and childish. I go where i get most for the buck. And here AMD 85% of the times, gives more UMF for less $.

Unless you need a state of the art gaming machine, with the top 3 CPU,s on the benchmark tests. Go with AMD. They make good products, and use the leftover $ to give your gf something pretty =) or w/e. I myself will go AMD next time i change hardware.
    Well said! There's also SPARC processors if you're using Sun but from what I've recently looked into they now only make servers :'( otherwise I would buy one.

Beans

I regret I did not browse for an AMD cpu when I bought my current laptop. I think almost all AMD cpus support virtualization extensions, and that is almost all I do.

I say AMD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

I am yet to see a decent portable computer based on AMD chips. Hot and underpowered seem to be traits most commonly associated with those things.

For desktops one might argue the AMD case, but I wouldn't do so for notebooks. The best AMD notebook I've seen was a business series model from HP that had the Turion64 chip. It ran hot, but it never once powered down even under extreme stress. Performance was mediocre, but at least it was a stable machine.

This might not have anything to do with the chips themselves but rather the fact that since AMD is seen as the budget solution it is often used on those crappy 500$ machines.
    Eternally confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast