Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

Beans

Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

Saw some 4 core AMD laptops at the store today. I wish I had one, though I am thinking of moving to ARM on the next portable computer I buy. So I will have to pick up an AMD Desktop instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hm, slight threadjacking here but it's somewhat on topic. Could a 35W TPD processor be run fanless with a big enough heatsink? I noticed some of the new sandy bridge processors were putting out about that much heat and a home theater PC with no moving parts would be quite awesome.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by racie View Post
    The laptop I plan to buy will be a pretty CHEAP one.

There are a lot of cheap Acer laptops. Are they any good? I hadn't heard about them until recently but apparently they're pretty big in Europe. The price is enticing, but I don't want to have another Compaq incident.
    I've had a lot of luck with Acers. I like them. You should be able to get a laptop with a 2nd gen Intel Core i3-2310M for cheap that will do you just fine. I wouldn't get anything less than an i3, though. And make sure to get 2nd generation if you can, because the built in graphics are so much better this time around.

I have a laptop with the above processor. I'm using Sony Vegas to produce a song right now that has 20 tracks with a lot of VST effects on each track. It doesn't have any problem playing all of that in real time without bogging down at all. Also, for what it's worth, my new laptop has a much higher Windows Experience Index rating than my old Core2duo that had a dedicated Geforce 8600 GPU in it. I got my computer on sale for around $460, and I'm more than happy with it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    This is a good site for laptop CPU benchmark tests
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html
    Cheers! There's much information on that site, though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    Hm, slight threadjacking here but it's somewhat on topic. Could a 35W TPD processor be run fanless with a big enough heatsink? I noticed some of the new sandy bridge processors were putting out about that much heat and a home theater PC with no moving parts would be quite awesome.
    My PentiumIII 1 GHz is rated at about 30W TPD, and runs with a huge heatsink alone. In your case, maybe if you had a case design where the PSU fan would pull the air off your CPU cooler, it could be possible.

You have to keep the case cool with passive components. If your video card or any other part causes the internal case temp to rise, you will have a problem.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I've had a lot of luck with Acers. I like them. You should be able to get a laptop with a 2nd gen Intel Core i3-2310M for cheap that will do you just fine. I wouldn't get anything less than an i3, though. And make sure to get 2nd generation if you can, because the built in graphics are so much better this time around.

I have a laptop with the above processor. I'm using Sony Vegas to produce a song right now that has 20 tracks with a lot of VST effects on each track. It doesn't have any problem playing all of that in real time without bogging down at all. Also, for what it's worth, my new laptop has a much higher Windows Experience Index rating than my old Core2duo that had a dedicated Geforce 8600 GPU in it. I got my computer on sale for around $460, and I'm more than happy with it.
    Well it's certainly great to hear that! I'm glad a somewhat low-end computer can handle that.

Oh and yeah... I wasn't planning on getting less than an i3 processor. I'd prefer an i5 if the laptop was cheap enough. Well who knows anyway... I may end up getting a more expensive laptop, but I'm aiming for a cheaper one.

How is it on heat though?

My Compaq computer actually used to run terrific, but I think overheating has damaged it.

Oh and thanks to Drenriza for posting that processor benchmark chart!
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Well it's certainly great to hear that! I'm glad a somewhat low-end computer can handle that.
    Keep in mind that i3's are not the new Celerons. i3's are still pretty good processors.

Oh and yeah... I wasn't planning on getting less than an i3 processor. I'd prefer an i5 if the laptop was cheap enough. Well who knows anyway... I may end up getting a more expensive laptop, but I'm aiming for a cheaper one.
    Like I said earlier, the only difference between an i3 and an i5 for laptops is that i5's have the turbo boost feature that will automatically overclock the processor by a small amount when your apps need more power. Other than that, i3's are exactly the same as i5's (for laptops not desktops). It was my personal opinion that that one feature wasn't enough to justify the big price difference. An i7 would definitely be worth it if you decided to spend more money on your laptop.

How is it on heat though?
    Better than any other laptop I've ever had. Even in processor or GPU intensive moments, I've never felt this laptop heat up at all. And I don't even think I've ever heard a fan run on this thing.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    My PentiumIII 1 GHz is rated at about 30W TPD, and runs with a huge heatsink alone. In your case, maybe if you had a case design where the PSU fan would pull the air off your CPU cooler, it could be possible.

You have to keep the case cool with passive components. If your video card or any other part causes the internal case temp to rise, you will have a problem.
    Say the case was either quite large or kept with the side permanently open. Possible then, you think? Assuming room temperature of about 20C/70F.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If talking about fanless, I'd still suggest a fan if there is room. You can buy silent fans. Unless you are specifically talking about cpu fans. I dunno, I'd probably want some air blowing.

I bought a 1gb low end vid card, fanless, and I needed to add fan because it got really hot.

As for AMD laptop processors, the new ones look really nice
    Llano mobile processors

Even the e-350 amd processor for cheap laptops/netbooks are good enough for basic use (web browsing etc). You can get $400 CAD before taxes e-350 15.6" 6gb ram 640gb hdd. Example

Is it best possible laptop? Nope. But for $400, compare it to $400 (or even $800) 2 years ago and we've come a long way. Especially for finally good vid cards (1080p and much better multitasking), hdmi, and 6gb ddr3 ram. I think SATAIII becoming more common, so SATAIII SSD can go in laptops and make them crazy fast compared to slow 5400rpm hdd.

The quad core Llano laptops should be good for some light work. Their vid cards are supposed to be faster than my onboard desktop vid card that is only 1 year old (ati HD4250).

I don't know anything about AMD vs Intel as I've only researched AMD (researching both takes too much time). I have 6 core 2.8ghz amd in desktop and works fine. You can get it now for $150 freeship, and I paid $200 last November.
    Last edited by andrewabc; July 20th, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Beans

Do not buy a bargain basement laptop. At one point I found a while-they-last sale on 64-bit Windows 7 laptops with a webcam for USD$250. Bought one because that was how many they had when I got to the desk, would have bought another too, thinking it would be cool to put Linux on it. It was junk, so I literally gave it to a buddy whose laptop had just gone bonkers.

Recent AMD products I think are probably supported as well as Intel products. I think AMD runs hotter and costs less. Hotter means shorter battery life on a laptop. Pick your poison. I personally don't buy laptops because I can't pick my hardware, although that gets harder every time, I think the next time I'm going to have to break down and do a laptop.

My current desktop is a pretty much maxed out i7, and somebody at my company just made an AMD 6-core bare bones system for $800. I spent around $3500. Hard to say how much all the cards and peripherals cost, haven't really thought about it but I know I put twice that $800 into the basic box at least, and speed wise it's about the same as the AMD.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast