Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    490
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Do they have X6's in laptops? If so, how do they compare in price to laptop i7's?
    I don't know if they have X6's in laptops, but there certainly are AMD Phenoms for laptops. From the graph in the post I quoted, Athlon II X2, Athlon II X4, Phenom II X4 can be compared to low end i7's...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,186

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    I haven't seen Phenom X6 on a Laptop. I think AMD has rather weak presence on the Laptop market at the moment, it is almost hard to get a good AMD laptop. I am not sure about the new Llano chips, but I think for a Laptop Intel is a "safer" bet (although more expensive).

    Between myself and my immediate family, we have 3 Intel laptops and 4 Intel Desktops and we are all happy with those.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I don't know if they have X6's in laptops, but there certainly are AMD Phenoms for laptops. From the graph in the post I quoted, Athlon II X2, Athlon II X4, Phenom II X4 can be compared to low end i7's...
    Well, we're talking about laptops, so X6's only apply if they are available for laptops. About your graph, when I was researching laptop processors recently when I was in the market, I saw plenty of graphs that showed that Phenom II X4 doesn't best any i7. Like I said, the raw processing power of the X4, which is a true quad core, would best a laptop i3 or i5. But then there are other things to take into consideration, like 2nd gen Core i's come with Intel HD Graphics 3000, which outperforms AMD's entry level graphics. If you're going to buy a laptop with a truly discrete, mid to upper level dedicated GPU, then the X4 would always be a better choice than the i3 or i5. But just because AMD calls their entry level crap "discrete graphics" doesn't mean they truly are. No matter what, from what I've seen, the Core i's run cooler than AMD chips, and that was one of the concerns of the OP.

    This is just what I found when I was recently researching things for myself. I wasn't being biased at all; in fact, I almost bought an X4.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; July 18th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    868
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Intel definitely. Though if you find a nice machine with good specs at a cheaper price with AMD, then go with that. But Intel chips are generally superior overall. It's a bit more difficult to see this for laptops, but AMD is generally better performance per value.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    490
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Well, we're talking about laptops, so X6's only apply if they are available for laptops. About your graph, when I was researching laptop processors recently when I was in the market, I saw plenty of graphs that showed that Phenom II X4 doesn't best any i7. Like I said, the raw processing power of the X4, which is a true quad core, would best a laptop i3 or i5.
    I don't know how accurate the graph is, as I haven't looked into this matter myself.
    But if you have done research about this, you are welcome to share your findings.
    (Links and references would be appreciated!) I have AMD on all my computers, but
    I'm not biased either. We're talking silicone chips, not religion.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Any laptop with Intel P7450 or i3-i5 CPU and 2-4GB ram
    ...

    ....
    one year old Nvidia GPU

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.22437.0.html

    If You don't play recent windows games ..

    I can bay it in my country from 400-600 euro.

    Any lenovo 15.6 " screen or thosiba 16" screen.

    Best spec for money IMHO , at the moment.

    Next Year .. Who knows.....

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I don't know how accurate the graph is, as I haven't looked into this matter myself.
    But if you have done research about this, you are welcome to share your findings.
    (Links and references would be appreciated!) I have AMD on all my computers, but
    Since I really don't care that much, it's not worth it to me to go through all of those hours of re-researching.

    I was just giving my educated opinion. I don't have a problem with people being happy with AMD products. I actually believe it won't be that long before AMD is the better choice once again for laptops and desktops, especially since the rumor is that Intel is going to start putting more focus on mobile stuff. I just think that right now, we're in a time slot where Intel is the better choice for laptops (but maybe not desktops).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I'm not biased either. We're talking silicone chips, not religion.
    Lol. Exactly.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In your brain.
    Beans
    352
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Wow! I left this thread for overnight and it got a lot of posts! Thanks for all the responses, guys. It looks like most people in this thread like Intel processors better.

    I've read all of the responses, but I don't want to make my post super long, so I'll just quote one thing here...

    Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    dont buy the bargain basement sub $500 laptops.

    my own opinion is that my laptop should be light and still have at least 4 hours of battery power. heat is subjective and all about design. my netbook never gets hot except for the wifi card under the palm rest. look into a model's processor the smaller the architecture and lower that wattage the cooler it usually runs.
    Hehe... oops. I seem to have left out one key detail.

    I was getting some printer paper in Staples the other day when I noticed how cheap some of the laptops are compared to the price of my Compaq a few years ago.

    The laptop I plan to buy will be a pretty CHEAP one.

    There are a lot of cheap Acer laptops. Are they any good? I hadn't heard about them until recently but apparently they're pretty big in Europe. The price is enticing, but I don't want to have another Compaq incident.

    If anything, I'd like to get that System76 netbook, but that's only a maybe.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I haven't seen Phenom X6 on a Laptop. I think AMD has rather weak presence on the Laptop market at the moment, it is almost hard to get a good AMD laptop. I am not sure about the new Llano chips, but I think for a Laptop Intel is a "safer" bet (although more expensive).

    Between myself and my immediate family, we have 3 Intel laptops and 4 Intel Desktops and we are all happy with those.
    Ever used a AMD CPU before? Or even from the past two years or less?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: AMD or Intel processors for laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I don't know how accurate the graph is, as I haven't looked into this matter myself.
    But if you have done research about this, you are welcome to share your findings.
    (Links and references would be appreciated!) I have AMD on all my computers, but
    I'm not biased either. We're talking silicone chips, not religion.
    This is a good site for laptop CPU benchmark tests
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •