Thread: Deja dup bad encryption password?

Beans

Exclamation Deja dup bad encryption password?

When I try to backup with deja dup (recently) its been giving me "Bad encryption Password" error. I searched about this online, and I went to passwords and encryption keys and made sure that the encryption key was what I set it to. Still it gives me the same error. What should I do about this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Re: Deja dup bad encryption password?

I got the same error, after I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) from Ubuntu 11.04. Ubuntu 11.10 installs this package by default, and it is a newer version.

I was able to resolve by:

~$ sudo apt-get purge deja-dup
    ~$ sudo apt-get install deja-dup

But, I also needed to start a new local backup directory, as would not recognize rights to existing backup files.

Beans

Re: Deja dup bad encryption password?

If you have this error "Bad Encryption Password" popping up when Deja Dup tries to do a new backup, that's because the last backup made by the software is corrupt. To fix this problem, you should go in the folder where you backups are saved and delete the last file (should have .gpg file extension). Try again to run the Deja Dup backup manually.

This worked for me.
    10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    Deja Dup 16.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hi to all,

Vertigo00 solution seems strange but worked for me.
    If anyone tries to do this make sure you move the file that may be corrupt file, to avoid regreting later.

Cheers.

Beans

The Vertigo00 solution worked also for me. However Deja dup did never complain for me about an encryption error but just did repeating asking for my password. Strangely this issue did not only affect new backups but also the recovery of old backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my case, I have used different passwords during different dates. Is there a way to provide multiple passwords while restoring to deja dup?