Thread: How to auto mount network share at boot

Beans

How to auto mount network share at boot

Ubuntu newb running 11.04. Seems like allot of other newbs are having trouble mounting the network drive at boot in fstab. Tried a bunch of things and cruising the forums but just ended up being a mess. Finally got it going and I though I would share for others and if I need to do it again later.

Also worth noting is that it is not very secure as the file you save the credentials in is in plain text, but I didn't care at this point.

The source I got it from is outdated so the command took tweeking which I will show below.

First you have to install smbfs
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smbfs
    Then create a folder inside of the /media directory to mount the share in:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/server
    Create a credentials file in /root so that you can save your password and have it protected by the root account.

Code:
    sudo gedit /root/.cifscredentials
    Add the following lines to the file and just replace the username/psswd with the ones you use to log into the share.

Code:
    username=Guest
    password=
    Note: If your fileserver allows Guest access you can just leave the file as above. If it is password protected you have to put in your username and password.

Save and close the .cifscredentials file.

Now open up your fstab file so that you can add mounting instructions (recommend backup first "sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Important note, for me this is slightly different in 11.04 as it required my UID which you can find by typing "id" at the prompt. Add this line to the bottom of the fstab file:

Origional:
    Code:
    //192.168.0.10/SHARENAME /media/Storage cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=USER,gid=users,credentials=/root/.cifscredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
    Mine:
    Code:
    //10.0.0.2/server /media/server cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=users,credentials=/root/.cifscredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
    You have to change the following information:
    Change 192.168.0.10 to the IP address or DNS name of your server
    Change SHARENAME to the share you want to mount
    Change USER to your Ubuntu username

The file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 part sets the mounted directory as read/write for all users so long as the SMB username you set in .cifscredentials has read/write access.

Now save the file and run the following command to test to see if you mount now works:

Code:
    sudo mount -a
    If that worked you should see a new drive icon on your desktop that lets you access your share. Now try rebooting and see if your shares mount automatically. If everything went as planned you will have a nice little drive mounted on your desktop every time you start up.

source:
    http://www.mattvanstone.com/2007/11/...-in-ubuntu-v3/

edit: Also if your wondering what my share is, I have an ubuntu 64bit server running and there is an SMB share on that (usb hard drive).
    Last edited by Dragonfire00; July 18th, 2011 at 12:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to auto mount network share at boot

You can change the ownership and permissions for your credentials file so only root has access to it for additional security

Code:
    sudo chown root .cifscredentials
    sudo chmod 600 .cifscredentials

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf167 View Post
    You can change the ownership and permissions for your credentials file so only root has access to it for additional security

Code:
    sudo chown root .cifscredentials
    sudo chmod 600 .cifscredentials
    Good point, thanks!

I had to explicitly state the directory if I wasn't root.

Code:
    sudo chown root /root/.cifscredentials
    sudo chmod 600 /root/.cifscredentials
    Code:
    -rw-------  1 root root   39 2011-07-17 15:21 .cifscredentials

Beans

What does the "cifs auto" option mean?
    What is the difference between a plain "cifs" and a "cifs auto"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tokyo-joe View Post
    What does the "cifs auto" option mean?
    What is the difference between a plain "cifs" and a "cifs auto"?
    I think the 'auto' option might be reference to the autofs (automount) and is used so the system doesn't try to mount the share before the network is up. Not 100% sure though, just found that referenced elsewhere including here:
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...t-cifs-shares/

After searching on the options in the forum, looks like this has been covered in depth here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-710607.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire00 View Post
    I think the 'auto' option might be reference to the autofs (automount) and is used so the system doesn't try to mount the share before the network is up. Not 100% sure though, just found that referenced elsewhere including here:
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...t-cifs-shares/

After searching on the options in the forum, looks like this has been covered in depth here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-710607.html
    Actually, I am having a problem w/ a RAID drive (not a network drive), but the issue seems to be same: fstab mounting fails because it tries to mount before network starts.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1806463

How can I delay fstab mounting to avoid this problem? Is the "auto" option useful in my case? The RAID drive should not require network connection, though...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tokyo-joe View Post
    Actually, I am having a problem w/ a RAID drive (not a network drive), but the issue seems to be same: fstab mounting fails because it tries to mount before network starts.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1806463

How can I delay fstab mounting to avoid this problem? Is the "auto" option useful in my case? The RAID drive should not require network connection, though...
    Ya, not sure on the RAID as i don't have it configured. Not sure on the damage but i suppose if there is not much on it you could give it a shot.

Beans

I have followed these instructions to the T using Ubuntu 12.10. After I do
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    I get
    Code:
    mount error (13): Permission denied
    . Can anyone help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Old thread closed.

Please start a new thread rather than tagging onto an old one.