Thread: Updating modification times with rsync etc?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Updating modification times with rsync etc?

So, I logged on briefly during my vacation to start a transfer of some 12 TB of data between machines using scp compiled for high performance networks. Unfortunately I omitted the flag to preserve modification times. It's not critical but I'm wondering if there's a nice way to get them back.

My first thought was to simply rsync the files from source to target with the archive flag set; since they already exist on the target, rsync should only need minimal effort to check that it's all there and then simply update the mod time. However, doing this takes nearly as long as the initial file transfer did, perhaps because the individual files are rather large (some 80 GB each.)

Encryption is not necessary for the transfer, so I was looking to turn that off. So far the only way I've found to do that is by using an rsync daemon on the target machine and then rsync over using that method. It might be an option but if possible I'd rather avoid messing about with that particular machine.

My main question is: can I "fix" the time stamps on the target
    machine without either using rsync-daemon, or transferring the files all over again?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Updating modification times with rsync etc?

rsync -c will sync files on a checksum so it does not compare files on mod time or size... or --size-only will as you may guess sync only based on file size... (risky for code, but with files with large GB like yours should be ok)...
    My personal website with blog n apps
    http://www.mikejonesey.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ps i could write you a quick bash script to syn the file times only if you like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

save the following as date-sync.sh in the dir you wish to attain the dates from; run it, then copy the output.sh file to the destination machine sync dir and run output.sh, it will modify the mod dates of all the files...

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    find . -maxdepth 1 -type f | while read filename; do
        if [ "$filename" != "date-sync.sh" -a "$filename" != "output.sh" ]; then
            echo "Syncing $filename"
            modTime=$(ls -la --full-time $filename | cut -d " " -f 6-7 | cut -b 1-19)
            echo "touch -d \"$modTime\" $filename" >> output.sh
        else
            echo "Skipping $filename"
        fi
    done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that greatly, your script worked perfectly and conveniently. I made a small modification; since I didn't transfer the entire directory the files were in (no way you could know that of course) the script would have created an empty file for each file that wasn't transferred over, so I simply added a test for the existence of the file in the execution lines sent to output.sh. Posting it in case anyone else wants to use it for similar purposes.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
        if [ "$filename" != "date-sync.sh" -a "$filename" != "output.sh" ]; then
            echo "Syncing $filename"
            echo "if [ -e $filename ] ; then touch -d \"$modTime\" $filename ; fi" >> output.sh
        else
            echo "Skipping $filename"
        fi
    done
    Again, thank you. =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no prob, one last tweek

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

echo "#!/bin/bash" > output.sh
    echo "function touchMe() { if [ -f \"\$2\" ]; then touch -d \"\$1\" \"\$2\"; echo \"updated mod date of \$2\"; fi }" >> output.sh

if [ "$filename" != "./date-sync.sh" -a "$filename" != "./output.sh" ]; then
            echo "Syncing $filename"
            echo "touchMe \"$modTime\" \"$filename\"" >> output.sh
        fi
    done