View Poll Results: Which operating systems do you use?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 7

21 31.82%
  • Windows Vista

5 7.58%
  • Windows XP

12 18.18%
  • Linux distro with a 6 month release schedule

39 59.09%
  • Linux distro concentrating on stability (releases less than once a year)

17 25.76%
  • Rolling linux distro or releases more often than every 6 months

12 18.18%
  • A BSD variant

2 3.03%
  • Haiku or BeOS

1 1.52%
  • Mac or MacOSX

12 18.18%
  • Other

4 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which operating system do you use and why

Beans

Re: Which operating system do you use and why

Debian Stable. I really can count on it working and having prompt security fixes for up to three years.

Right now I am technically using a custom hybrid Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental. I base packages off of testing but mostly target package versions in unstable. This is because I am testing Gnome 3 and I need up to date libraries for jhbuild.
    Last edited by NightwishFan; July 17th, 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling error

Beans

Ubuntu for me as my primary though I don't always upgrade every 6 months, currently running maverick. On my old toshiba laptop I've got Lubuntu, and on the media streaming box I've got Debian stable.
    AMD FX-8120. 8GB DDR3 1866. Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Computing is fun again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vehemoth View Post
    Yeah but it sort of came about from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1804645 and so was a little to do with what people look for in an os. Also a suprising amount of people here don't use ubuntu as their main os, but like the friendly atmosphere.
    The poll won't give a real good picture of forum users, as most of the people that primarily post in the Cafe are Windows/other Linux users.

Personally I have Ubuntu, Debian,Windows 7, Windows XP and Mac OSX installed on various systems, although the Windows and Mac systems get very little usage lately

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

EDIT: Was complaining about near 50% windows use, but I forgot it was a multi-select poll. D'oh.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Ubuntu for my day-to-day stuff and for my server, Vista for video editing, and XP on one of the machines at work.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I think I forgot to post why I use Linux.
    There is just tons of things I can do on Linux I can not do on windows, tons of software for linux I can not get for windows, plus there is that part about customability, scalability and over all stability.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Ubuntu with a horde of PPA's. Until now it's the best compromise I found between having a stable base with the latest applications.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: Which operating system do you use and why

Kubuntu
    coz my default applications like amarok comes with it
    also can't compromise the usability of dolphin,klipper etc
    and without KDE4 I can't imagine a machine
    Dasan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just use ubuntu cause it's what I started using when I switched to Linux and I know it the best. I've messed with other distros, but they basically seem to come out to the same thing except the organization is different, which can make things frustrating. I know Ubuntu's quirks, and that's enough for me. I'm also hopelessly addicted to the on-board cloud services, and I like the software center.

I also like getting the shiny new goodies quickly, which Ubuntu does a decent job with. I usually have the working dev release on a partition on one of my computers, just so I can try everything as it comes out, and I usually have it as my primary OS on most of my machines before the development cycle is totally finished (usually around the time of beta2 or RC1).

I like the Windows 7 interface, but the ad-ware drove me batty (could never seem to zap all of it), I don't know enoug about it's guts to do all of the tweaks I want, and you actually have to open a browser and use google if you want to find a program (and it might turn out to be malware!). You might even have to pay for it.

I like OSX a LOT, but I don't have the money for that kind of thing. With Linux, I can buy the cheapest computer in the store and get reasonable performance. Still, if I had the money, I would have at least one OSX machine alongside my Ubuntu machines.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast