Thread: Using RCTRL as a TAB key

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Using RCTRL as a TAB key

I use the numeric block on the laptop quite a lot for entering numeric data. To go to the next field for input the TAB key is used which requires the left hand or a long right hand travel.

Does anyone know how to re-program the right ctrl key to be another tab key which would allow single-handed data entry?

This should survive any program (I should choose an alternate for VM cursor purposes).
    Intelligence - that which leads to harmony

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Using RCTRL as a TAB key

Hello,
    xmodmap lets you do that.

You will need to remove the control_R from the modifier, and then map it to the tab keysym. I don't have much time right now, so I won't give you teh details, but the man is well written.

You can have a look at keysymdef.h for existing keysyms. Not sure where it is, but 'locate' should tell you.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by enimeizoo View Post
    Hello,
    xmodmap lets you do that.

You will need to remove the control_R from the modifier, and then map it to the tab keysym. I don't have much time right now, so I won't give you teh details, but the man is well written.

You can have a look at keysymdef.h for existing keysyms. Not sure where it is, but 'locate' should tell you.
    Good luck!
    Thank you for that - my apologies for such a delay in returning to this issue.
    It simply needed the Control_R added into a .Xmodmap file in my home user thus:-
    Code:
    keycode 105 = Tab ISO_Left_Tab Tab ISO_Left_Tab
    followed by a logout login.
    Intelligence - that which leads to harmony

Beans
    Hidden!

For future reference, you could have avoided the logout-login by entering this at a console:

Code:
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 105 = Tab ISO_Left_Tab Tab ISO_Left_Tab'