Thread: I use the command prompt....alot!

Beans

I use the command prompt....alot!

I've just installed ubuntu and I'm starting to get the hang of moving around the OS while remembering all the linux commands and now I've just thought of a project with no idea of where to begin.

I would like to find a way to embed the command prompt to the background in the desktop (with opacity so the background is still visible.) After that, I would need to set up a quick key to minimize all open programs and select the prompt field so I can get straight to business. Basically, I want to start this huge, time consuming project so I don't have to drag the mouse ALL the way over to the side of the screen and click the command prompt and then close it when I'm done just to open it again thirty seconds later.

So, where do I start? Are there any similar project someone could direct me to? Please help me with my minor annoyances that lead to awesome customizations! lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I use the command prompt....alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nylarthothep View Post
    I've just installed ubuntu and I'm starting to get the hang of moving around the OS while remembering all the linux commands and now I've just thought of a project with no idea of where to begin.

I would like to find a way to embed the command prompt to the background in the desktop (with opacity so the background is still visible.) After that, I would need to set up a quick key to minimize all open programs and select the prompt field so I can get straight to business. Basically, I want to start this huge, time consuming project so I don't have to drag the mouse ALL the way over to the side of the screen and click the command prompt and then close it when I'm done just to open it again thirty seconds later.

So, where do I start? Are there any similar project someone could direct me to? Please help me with my minor annoyances that lead to awesome customizations! lol
    If you use 10.10 then yes you embed a terminal in the desktop with the help of compiz.A quick forum or google search will find several posts on how to do this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1654647

If you use 11.04 I can't help you as I never upgraded/downgraded to unity.
    A quick google search of of how to do this on 11.04 did not find anything but I am sure someone will have an answer for you.
    Last edited by foutes; July 16th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.
    Eee Pc 1215N notebook-12in Screen-Ubnutu 12.10
    Dual core 1.8 Atom
    2 gig DDR3
    Nvidia Ion(Yes it works,even have HDMI out working)

Beans

Thank you for all your help! I'm still fiddling with the settings in compiz but I'm already happy with the results! Documentation for compiz and AutoKey is easy to find with a couple google searches. The compiz Place Window action seems not to be working but I'm sure it's a user based error. Now that the terminal is up and running and switching to it is as easy as an AutoKey script, life is a little easier for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You are welcome.

There is also a terminal applet for avant windows navigator that is quite handy.
    Eee Pc 1215N notebook-12in Screen-Ubnutu 12.10
    Dual core 1.8 Atom
    2 gig DDR3
    Nvidia Ion(Yes it works,even have HDMI out working)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try guake

Press F12 to reveal it and then again to hide it.

Beans

Or tilda (it's in the Ubuntu Software Center).
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Try guake

Press F12 to reveal it and then again to hide it.
    Good stuff there, try that out op. it should be everything that youre looking for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use Yakuake, and prefer it to Tilda; I've not tried guake.