Thread: Compiz in Natty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Compiz in Natty

just installed Natty on an internet-less computer, i want wobbly windows and the cube! i downloaded the "Compiz Icon" and some other stuff through the software center (had do drag a desktop to internet ready area).. but when i got back home with the computer i couldnt find the menus and stuff for compiz so that i can mess with compiz.. i know its there cause i can do ps -e | grep compiz and it shows up with a PID and everything...

how can i customize my computer to awesomeness like i was able to before??

Beans

Re: Compiz in Natty

You need the compiz-config-settings-manager, if that's not one of the things you've gotten already. On occasion, while you're messing with settings in CCSM, you'll (or I'll, at least) get a slight glitch where the top panel and maybe window borders will turn some funky colors, but logging out and back in fixes it.
    Last edited by GWBouge; June 20th, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: I'm behind the times XoD
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkera View Post
    just installed Natty on an internet-less computer, i want wobbly windows and the cube! i downloaded the "Compiz Icon" and some other stuff through the software center (had do drag a desktop to internet ready area).. but when i got back home with the computer i couldnt find the menus and stuff for compiz so that i can mess with compiz.. i know its there cause i can do ps -e | grep compiz and it shows up with a PID and everything...

how can i customize my computer to awesomeness like i was able to before??
    Hi, To get the cube working in natty use this link.
    http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...ty-ubuntu.html
    after you have finished with this guide and you change other settings it will mess up your windows again so just log out and back in and they will be fixed.
    It sounds like you may have already messed up unity and compiz, I would reset unity and compiz before you install the cube, you can reset them by clicking on reset unity and compiz in my signature and follow the instructions, and I would reset both.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GWBouge View Post
    You need the compiz-config-settings-manager, if that's not one of the things you've gotten already. Although do note, if you run the Unity interface: Desktop Cube requires you to disable the Desktop Wall, which is required by Unity, so you'll have to login with the classic desktop mode.
    Hi, thats not the case anymore if he follows my instructions in my post it will work.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; June 20th, 2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Ah, and I think I've even seen that resolution referred to somewhere else, too. Sorry for any misinformation, I should think more before posting XoD

Edited my post above.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

im looking into your solutions and will respond when i am done trying them... just so you know, i couldnt get unity to work, the desktop loads up and then freezes, the only thing i can manipulate is the mouse cursor....

i just load into Ubuntu Classic and use Gnome... btw i managed to find some command, which i dont currently remember, that ran a check on my system for compatibility with unity and everything was 100% A-Okay, passed and ready to go... but whenever i try running it, i have to hold my computers power button and power off the box cause it freezes (except for the mouse)!!!

i have a dual core system about 2ghz processor power
    3 gigs ram
    video card is ATI Radeon something something and it has like 170-something MB video memory.....

anyway, ill be back tomorrow or something with an update

thanks guys!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkera View Post
    im looking into your solutions and will respond when i am done trying them... just so you know, i couldnt get unity to work, the desktop loads up and then freezes, the only thing i can manipulate is the mouse cursor....

i just load into Ubuntu Classic and use Gnome... btw i managed to find some command, which i dont currently remember, that ran a check on my system for compatibility with unity and everything was 100% A-Okay, passed and ready to go... but whenever i try running it, i have to hold my computers power button and power off the box cause it freezes (except for the mouse)!!!

i have a dual core system about 2ghz processor power
    3 gigs ram
    video card is ATI Radeon something something and it has like 170-something MB video memory.....

anyway, ill be back tomorrow or something with an update

thanks guys!
    Hi, my instructions for the cube are for people running unity, if you are using classic you can still install it that way but you should go to this link and do what it says afterward because you will not have good performance in classic because compiz needs to be downgraded when using classic.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-t...piz-086-in.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: Compiz in Natty

Quote Originally Posted by GWBouge View Post
    You need the compiz-config-settings-manager, if that's not one of the things you've gotten already. On occasion, while you're messing with settings in CCSM, you'll (or I'll, at least) get a slight glitch where the top panel and maybe window borders will turn some funky colors, but logging out and back in fixes it.
    I have the issue of them not being there. and a log out doesn't happen to fix the issue. any suggestions?? Posted a response in a different thread, but this quote matches my issue, but not my solution??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: Compiz in Natty

!!!DISREGARD MY LAST POST, FOUND MY SOLUTION!!! Thank god for genius' with signatures u know who you are!!

Beans

fast forward all the dumb stuff in this link you tube is a great source for visual learners
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVR1y9cJHWA , this will explain how to do cube without TERMINAL , and also if u want close and open effects like burn then you need to do this code after u have installed CCSM
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    just play around with the settings, theres nothing u cant undo so go ahead and explore

oh and by install CCSM you can do wobbly windows , just make sure u fallow the steps in the video. i have done it on 5 pcs in my household and every one has had no issues at all,,
    and if you want some more i candy, run this code and u will get like wigets type of things
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install screenlets
    Last edited by hookitup; July 14th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.