Thread: BNC or RCA to USB Adapter for Linux

Beans

BNC or RCA to USB Adapter for Linux

Hey, I have a camera with a BNC output that I need to connect to my computer via USB. Currently I have a BNC to RCA adapter on it, which I can leave on or take off. What RCA to USB adapters work on Linux? I have searched extensively and cannot find any that list Linux compatibility. I am open to other suggestions on how to connect the BNC output to USB other than RCA to USB.

Beans

Re: BNC or RCA to USB Adapter for Linux

a BNC connection on a camera? that is rather unusual from what I've seen.

The missing information is about what sort of output is provided to that BNC connector. Most likely it is composite video. If that is the case, you'll need a 'TV' card or USB tuner device to connect it to your computer.

TV cards usually have tuners to pick up TV broadcasts via antenna and a composite video input as well.

Composite video usually uses RCA jacks and is an analogue video signal. That is why it has to go through a TV card to convert the analog to digital so the computer can deal with it.

If the camera has removable storage, like an SD card, it is usually easier to get a card reader for the computer to read the video and picture files from that.

Beans

Well, this is quite an unusual situation. I have a scientific infrared F-18 camera from 11 years ago that I need to interface with my computer. The only output on the camera is BNC. The only input I can use for the computer is USB. The output is in NTSC.

Currently I have a BNC to composite video adapter, but I need an adapter from composite video (or BNC) to USB that runs on Linux.

I have this adapter: http://www.encore-usa.com/al/product/ENMVG, but it only runs on Windows. I am looking for an adapter like it that can be used on Linux.

It is possible for me to get a BNC to coaxial convertor, so a coaxial to USB would also work for my purposes.

Are there any specific products that are known to work on Linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by strasburgerad View Post
    Well, this is quite an unusual situation. I have a scientific infrared F-18 camera from 11 years ago that I need to interface with my computer. The only output on the camera is BNC. The only input I can use for the computer is USB. The output is in NTSC.

Currently I have a BNC to composite video adapter, but I need an adapter from composite video (or BNC) to USB that runs on Linux.

I have this adapter: http://www.encore-usa.com/al/product/ENMVG, but it only runs on Windows. I am looking for an adapter like it that can be used on Linux.

It is possible for me to get a BNC to coaxial convertor, so a coaxial to USB would also work for my purposes.

Are there any specific products that are known to work on Linux?
    Maybe you really need the RCA PLUG TO RCA JACK ADAPTER to fix them.
    The USB adapter which connector seems that it is RCA Jack.You can see check it to see the RCA Jack :http://www.rfsupplier.com/adapter-pl...er-p-1768.html

BNC with camera /BNC-RCA PLUG/RCA JACK on your USB ADAPTR/to your computer/

Beans

Yes, it's composite video. I have used some monochrome monitors that have had BNC connectors. Many TV cards will allow you to connect a composite input (mine has an RCA jack on a breakout cable).

Are you sure that framegrabber won't work in Ubuntu?

Beans

I am not sure if framegrabber will work in Ubuntu,ansI wait for the replys from others.......