Thread: Good backup software?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good backup software?

I'm looking for good backup software to do entire system snapshots automated, something along the lines of Comodo Time Machine on Windows or Time Machine on Mac where I can go back to certain dates or restore if something gets broken some how, is there anything like that available on ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Good backup software?

Quote Originally Posted by HHx66 View Post
    I'm looking for good backup software to do entire system snapshots automated, something along the lines of Comodo Time Machine on Windows or Time Machine on Mac where I can go back to certain dates or restore if something gets broken some how, is there anything like that available on ubuntu?
    Hi, I use Deja Dup. it is in synaptic, but I can not compare it to windows I have not used windows in years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can you do entire system snapshots in it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by HHx66 View Post
    Can you do entire system snapshots in it?
    Hi, you can add whatever folders you want to for them to be backed up, but it does not say snapshot. The only thing I have seen like that is when I am using virtualbox to run a vm it has a snapshot function that only takes a few seconds to complete.

Beans

I use remastersys for backing up system ('backup' mode to include everything including home folder's contents, system-settings, passwords, and 'distribution' mode to exclude the same). It can be run from terminal so it can be scripted to run automatically on predefined schedules, but since it needs root-access to the system, you'll still have to provide your password to let it be executed. I don't know how to automate it.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags