Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SPDIF (optical audio) setting for Mythtv

Beans

Re: SPDIF (optical audio) setting for Mythtv

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Nobody said anything about 11.04.
    I did. 11.04 is the first official distribution (that has the version of mythtv) with the scanner.

I can't get 11.04 up and running. I've tried, but can't. Yes, I could go down that path of solving that issue, but that seems like a much larger hill to climb. I've seen 11.04 (which has .24 in it) and I had other issues too, so I've reverted back to 10.10 (.23+fixes) and everything seems basically fine except I can't get optical audio.

Now, yes, I could get other releases of just .24+ through repos, but I've had other issues with doing this in the past....certain things (like 3rd party programs) didn't work for me and it is a lot of work to bring it back to a version where things work.

I just want help with figuring out my audio settings. When people have audio problems, they typically are asked to post certain things, which I did from the beginning in hopes that that would get the ball rolling.

I still would like to get help with my audio. I certainly didn't want to start some kind of argument about what version I should try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    I did. 11.04 is the first official distribution (that has the version of mythtv) with the scanner.
    wrong, 0.24-fixes is available for 10.04 at least. The repos are official. Please don't confuse mythbuntu versions (10.04, 11.04 etc) with mythtv versions (0.23, 0.24-fixes etc)

I can't get 11.04 up and running. I've tried, but can't. Yes, I could go down that path of solving that issue, but that seems like a much larger hill to climb. I've seen 11.04 (which has .24 in it) and I had other issues too, so I've reverted back to 10.10 (.23+fixes) and everything seems basically fine except I can't get optical audio.

Now, yes, I could get other releases of just .24+ through repos, but I've had other issues with doing this in the past....certain things (like 3rd party programs) didn't work for me and it is a lot of work to bring it back to a version where things work.

I just want help with figuring out my audio settings. When people have audio problems, they typically are asked to post certain things, which I did from the beginning in hopes that that would get the ball rolling.

I still would like to get help with my audio. I certainly didn't want to start some kind of argument about what version I should try.
    I'll try and help but honestly audio in mythtv has had a lot of changes and improvements between 0.23 and 0.24, and the scanner does work well. But if you are determined to use an unsupported version, I'll do my best to help.

Lets start with the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /proc/asound

Beans

$ ls -l /proc/asound
    total 0
    dr-xr-xr-x 7 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 card0
    dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 card1
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 cards
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 devices
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 hwdep
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2011-07-17 03:43 Intel -> card0
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 modules
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2011-07-17 03:43 NVidia -> card1
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 pcm
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 seq
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 timers
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2011-07-17 03:43 version

Beans

Card=Intel Device=1 looks like it, I think it is formatted like

ALSA:CARD=Intel,DEV=1

or ALSA:iec958:Card=Intel,DEV=1

But this alsa stuff is very confusing! That's why the scanner is so good.

You seem to hae a lot of odd dmix etc devices, do you have an asound.conf or .asoundrc with lots of definitions? If so remove them (change the filename so you don't lose whats in there. You shouldn't need one at all these days.)

Good luck with your old and officially unsupported version. I'll keep an eye on this thread of course, but not sure how much I can do.

I would suggest the mailing list, but they are even more adamant about not supporting out of date versions.
    Last edited by nickrout; July 17th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

Beans

One more quick question. Is audio over HDMI possible in Mythtv. It seems like I read a while back that it wasn't really very easy, so not really possible for the average user. Is this still basically the case or should it work out-of-the-box...for the most part? .23 and/or .24 and/or whatever.

Thanks again.

Beans

One more quick question. Is audio over HDMI possible in Mythtv. It seems like I read a while back that it wasn't really very easy, so not really possible for the average user. Is this still basically the case or should it work out-of-the-box...for the most part? .23 and/or .24 and/or whatever.

Thanks again.
    Yes it is possible, in fact it is quite common. In fact your first post said you had it working!

Again: easier with the 0.24 code.

Of course it depends which card you are using. It seems to work with nvidia cards out of the box, although for 4xx and 5xx series cards I think you need a newer version of alsa than is current in *buntu.
    Last edited by nickrout; July 18th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Beans

Yes it is possible, in fact it is quite common. In fact your first post said you had it working!

Again: easier with the 0.24 code.

Of course it depends which card you are using. It seems to work with nvidia cards out of the box, although for 4xx and 5xx series cards I think you need a newer version of alsa than is current in *buntu.
    Yeah HDMI audio works in the OS and some other 3rd party programs, but doesn't seem to work in MythTV...for me. I seem to be able to get analog (via headphone plug) and coax, but I think that's about it for me in MythTV.

Beans

Yeah HDMI audio works in the OS and some other 3rd party programs, but doesn't seem to work in MythTV...for me. I seem to be able to get analog (via headphone plug) and coax, but I think that's about it for me in MythTV.
    Did you even try the settings for spdif I posted?

did you try eliminating asound.conf and/or ~/.asoundrc from the equation?
    Last edited by nickrout; July 18th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Beans

Did you even try the settings for spdif I posted?

did you try eliminating asound.conf and/or ~/.asoundrc from the equation?
    Yes I did all these things.

...and I added the repo to get myself up to .24. I have a few other issues now, but I'll deal with those later.

I did the scan and tried everything it found (scanning each time) and I am not able to get HDMI or optical audio out.

There were at least 10 items it found when it scanned. At least 4 were "HDMI" related. No luck.

I know the HDMI audio works because other 3rd party programs produce audio through HDMI...web browser, vlc, etc.

Beans

pls see my first post: I have the same "aplay" output (without asound-file).
    I got hdmi working with either "plughw:1,7" or "dmix:Nvidiaevice=7" - not with the so called "hdmi-devices" found by mythtv scanner.
    I got s/pdif working, too with "plughw:0,1" or "dmix:Intelevice=1" - but no digital passthrough....
    Every try to use any kind of asound-file failed....
    And digital-passthrough-sound (working fine with vlc) will just give me noise/buzz on the speakers with mythtv.... you can look at this threat too: Urgent help needed: errors in mythtranscode, mythwelcome and alsa (no answers included)

Using vlc is no alternative - because gpu-support is not working (all videos larger 4 Gb are shuttering....)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast