Thread: Nautilus demands to be in root to open

Beans

Nautilus demands to be in root to open

Hello everyone, I have had this problem with 10.04 for a long while now. Whenever I try to open a folder or a program tries to launch one, a prompt comes up for
    persmission to open 'nautilus '/path/to/folder/" asking for my password. It raises privilege and forces me to browse nautilus as root. Really annoying to have to put
    in the pass everytime I just want to browse/open a folder and I dont' want to be going into root like this all the time. Is this a problem with Nautilus itself or
    what, and how can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nautilus demands to be in root to open

Welcome to the forums!

You have probably formatted your data partition using Gparted, with root now being the owner of the partition. To rectify that, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    This will open a file browser owned by root. Click on the data drive/partition to mount it, then right-click on the drive icon and select Properties then Permissions.

I recommend that you change both the Owner and Group to your user name, with Create and delete files at Folder access, and --- at File access. At Others you may select Access files with --- at File access, or whatever permissions you may deem appropriate.

Click on Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files and close the file browser and terminal.