Thread: Strange sound issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Strange sound issue

Hi,

I have a strange problem with Ubuntu 11.04 (32bit) on MBP 5,1.
    When i play sounds from /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo, sounds with a sampling rate other than 44100Hz sound very distorted. For example, dialog-question.ogg (44100Hz) sounds fine while message-new-instant.ogg (48000Hz) sound really bad. As it turns out, all sounds used by Empathy (message-new-instant.ogg, service-login.ogg, service-logout.ogg) have sample rates of 48000Hz and 22050Hz which makes it a pain to have notifications sounds enabled.

Any ideas are most welcome!

Regards,
    Mike

EDIT: Thought it was bitrate at first, but realized it's about the sampling rate.
    Last edited by SwedishWings; July 12th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    -- Frank Zappa

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Strange sound issue

It might be worth having a fiddle with the resampling sections of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to get something that matches your hardware better.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    It might be worth having a fiddle with the resampling sections of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to get something that matches your hardware better.
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried ffmpeg and a few other with no improvement. Is there a fail-safe value that "should" work?

Regards,
    Mike
    Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    -- Frank Zappa

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishWings View Post
    Is there a fail-safe value that "should" work?
    Yes, what's in there by default Since it's not working for you, it's probably worth picking something else instead.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Yes, what's in there by default Since it's not working for you, it's probably worth picking something else instead.
    Hahaha, thanks, so much for the fail-safe...

Will noodle around some more and post results if I find something that works.

Thanks!

/Mike
    -- Frank Zappa