Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gnome Fork - Mate Desktop Environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: A Gnome Fork - Mate Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    Linux has always been about freedom of choice, not lack of choice. Ubuntu will learn that very important lesson soon. If I wanted touchscreen mini windows, I would get a bigger cell phone, or buy a square monitor.

Nothing else to say, just compare.
    And there are more than a few people that will pick the screen on the left. They just don't hang out on forums, they have other more pressing things to do. Your screen shots are very impressive but not to everyone's taste.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; August 20th, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nynoah View Post
    I am sorry to the Gnome3 Unity lovers. But if ubuntu does away with Gnome 2 in the future, then I will have to move to KDE or Xfce or off Ubuntu entirely.
    Oh well I'm sure we'll get by somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    And there are more than a few people that will pick the screen on the left. They just don't hang out on forums, they have other more pressing things to do.
    Yup. I know which one I'd pick myself. Unity is really coming into it's own with Oneiric.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am sorry to the Gnome3 Unity lovers. But if ubuntu does away with Gnome 2 in the future, then I will have to move to KDE or Xfce or off Ubuntu entirely. This new UI is horrible. Its even dumber than the first few tries of KDE4 compared to KDE3.5. In both instances, the programmers have gone for shiny over functionality. Shiny pretty is nice, but if I lose function what good is it?
    There is no if, about it. Gnome 2 isn't being developed or maintained anymore. You don't have to tell us that you won't be using Unity or Gnome-shell, just do it, use whatever works best for you. We won't hold it against you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    There is no if, about it. Gnome 2 isn't being developed or maintained anymore. You don't have to tell us that you won't be using Unity or Gnome-shell, just do it, use whatever works best for you. We won't hold it against you.
    The point I am trying to make is Ubuntu and Gnome are shooting themselves in the foot. They are doing the same stupid thing that Coke did with "new" coke. Its all flash and less functionality. We are now going to go through 2 years of bugs and "fixes" to get Ubuntu back to the functionality of Gnome 2. Its a step backwards in the name of flashy shiny stupid.
    64 bit Ultimate edition 2.8 dual boot widows 7 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux has always been about freedom of choice, not lack of choice. Ubuntu will learn that very important lesson soon. If I wanted touchscreen mini windows, I would get a bigger cell phone, or buy a square monitor.

I threw up in my mouth after looking at that desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The point I am trying to make is Ubuntu and Gnome are shooting themselves in the foot. They are doing the same stupid thing that Coke did with "new" coke. Its all flash and less functionality. We are now going to go through 2 years of bugs and "fixes" to get Ubuntu back to the functionality of Gnome 2. Its a step backwards in the name of flashy shiny stupid.
    You don't have to use Unity or Gnome-shell, there are plenty of other desktop environments you can use instead.

Have you actually used Unity or Gnome-shell, they are both quite functional in Oneiric. For most people that have used them, they feel that they can get just as much if not more work done, than with the two panel interface.

If you are set on using the two panel interface, there is a new version available in Oneiric. It isn't installed by default, but you can use your favorite installation method to install it, then select from the new login interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I dont like Unity, but your unity shot is 10^9999999999 better than the other shots. They hurt my eyes.

It's a matter of opinion, so YMMV.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The UE desktop is not for all. The people who want simplistic will not like it. It does however have all the best programs out there preinstalled. Gnome2 under UE is the best top UI in my opinion too. Saved me a weeks worth of work to make mine similar. Ultimate Edition OZ team has a Unity version. But it still makes no sense in the end. I hope that someone in the Linux world will fork Gnome 2 and keep it going, because Gnome 3 just makes no sense. I don't want simplistic everything. I don't want flashy menu systems that in the end function worse. I want function first and Gnome 2 does that better hands down. Gnome 3 looks nothing like Gnome 2. There should be no reason to abandon Gnome 2 either. I hope that Linus's words will be taken into account and a team will pick up the slack and continue the Gnome 2 interface. If not, then I am pretty sure most people will switch to something that functions more in the end. KDE just got its best gift ever, but I would still prefer Gnome 2 over KDE.
    64 bit Ultimate edition 2.8 dual boot widows 7 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The UE desktop is not for all. The people who want simplistic will not like it. It does however have all the best programs out there preinstalled. Gnome2 under UE is the best top UI in my opinion too. Saved me a weeks worth of work to make mine similar. Ultimate Edition OZ team has a Unity version. But it still makes no sense in the end. I hope that someone in the Linux world will fork Gnome 2 and keep it going, because Gnome 3 just makes no sense. I don't want simplistic everything. I don't want flashy menu systems that in the end function worse. I want function first and Gnome 2 does that better hands down. Gnome 3 looks nothing like Gnome 2. There should be no reason to abandon Gnome 2 either. I hope that Linus's words will be taken into account and a team will pick up the slack and continue the Gnome 2 interface. If not, then I am pretty sure most people will switch to something that functions more in the end. KDE just got its best gift ever, but I would still prefer Gnome 2 over KDE.
    Have you installed a recent 11.10 build plus Gnome-Panel? Applications and Places seem identical. System entries now being located in two different locations, some under Applications -> other and some under "system settings" under the upper right user-name drop-down. I don't see much difference between 10.10 classic and 11.10 Classic-no effects. What IS missing are applets. GTK2 applets won't work in 11.10, they need to be reworked to function with GTK3. The basics are in 11.10 classic but not much else. 11.10 Classic or 11.10 Classic-no effects seem pretty functional though. I'm getting pretty used to Gnome-shell though, I prefer it to Unity for now.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; August 21st, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just curious- how much of Gnome3 and/or Unity are using Mono? (Haven't looked, but thought occurred to me whilst surfing at work. Ssshh.)
    Home: HP DV7-1242 Laptop, ATI, 6 GB RAM, 320GB HD, AMD TurionX2 2.1ghz
    Home: HP DV6646us Laptop, nVidia, 4 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, AMD TurionX2 1.9ghz
    Work: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, nvidia, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Core i5
    Ubuntu User # 21,107

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast