Thread: Dropbox as home

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dropbox as home

Does anyone know if it's possible to set Dropbox as home (home/dropbox(or my name), and how it is done? Been trying to find some tuts, but can't find it.

Would like to make dropbox as my home on the netbook. Makes things so easier
    Last edited by Sinopa; July 11th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dropbox as home

Big question if you would really want to do this, you do realize that Dropbox has the policy to be able to scan your files for advertisement stuff etc?

Another concern is disk space.

On the other hand, why not, it's linux so mounting your Dropbox dir as home should work
    That was left handed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am very doubtful that it would be possible. The /home partition or folder that you use must be able to enable all the linux file permissions, etc etc, and I think it unlikely that dropbox will be able to do this.

You can always try, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The question with cloud computing is, what happens when there is no Internet connection to the cloud? In your case, will the OS still load when it cannot find /home because there is no wireless connection or the ISP servers or cloud servers are down.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, the good thing is that Dropbox has it's own copy on your own harddisk. So in case you are offline, you can work. The nasty part comes that it won't be up to date on the cloud copy then. Nasty it may become when you are using the same home on several computers. Here configs might be messed up if you have different machines.

Also, the installer asks about the permissions if you install Dropbox.
    That was left handed...