Thread: Jaunty 9.04 work arounds? This computer didn't work with newer version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Jaunty 9.04 work arounds? This computer didn't work with newer version.

Do I ditch the old computer so I can upgrade to the latest Ubuntu versions? When 9.04 was installed in April, we tried a 10.? and this computer didn't work well with it at all, but Jaunty 9.04 was fine. Now I want to use a new printer and can't get the driver because the Ubuntu is too old. Are there any work-around solutions to use with outdated unsupported versions?
    Jaunty9.04, Gnome, Debian. Computer: Gateway year 2002, came with WinXP, and Celeron processor. I got it for free in 2008, and spent a few hundred having memory added and other things tweaked. Until April 2011 used the WinXP and HP Deskjet 722C from 1998. The printer started getting wonky so I got a new HP Deskjet 1000 J110 this past week, but HPLIP does not support 9.04 and I'm having trouble installing newer version printer software from HPLIP.
    I have learned how to use a few terminal commands and almost had HPLIP 3.10.9 installed when I hit a wall missing four dependencies: python-devel; cups-devel; libtool; and cups-image.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Last edited by lucyi; July 11th, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: grammar, syntax

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Jaunty 9.04 work arounds? This computer didn't work with newer version.

python-dev 2.5.2-1ubuntu1 (i386 binary) in ubuntu jaunty
    This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian's default
    Python version (currently v2.5). (Must be installed first)
    You can find your other packages here also if they are not found in Synaptic.
    Last edited by jtarin; July 11th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Which April are you talking about? 2011? If not, a lot has changed in the 10.xx releases. I couldn't install 10.04 LTS last November. It installed without issue a couple of nights ago.

Try installing a 10.xx again and let us know the probs in a new thread. It would be wise to ditch 9.04 if possible. It is well out of support. (This will create security issues, amongst other things.)

python-devel; cups-devel; libtool; and cups-image.
    Have you looked for these in Synaptic? If they are there, just install them.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 11th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You need to switch to the old releases repos, if you haven't already. http://atlanticlinux.ie/blog/?p=143

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you could always try the alternative CD installation. it usually goes much smoother than the livecd version on older hardware.

Beans

I advice you to install lubuntu or Linux Mint LXDE if you run on old hardware, your computer will feel like brand new again
    I run these on a IBM laptop with 384mb ram and 466Mhz processor and its more than fast enough...........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks everybody. I have given up for now. It's too much for my brain to handle. When I can afford it, I'll get a new 'puter and go from there.