Thread: Can I install Kubuntu Mobile instead of iOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can I install Kubuntu Mobile instead of iOS?

Hi

my friend has given me his iphone 2g to repair, he has the partial touchscreen problem, that only half of the screen responds. I was wondering if there are any Linux OS alts such as Kubuntu Mobile I could use? although i didn't think Kubuntu Mobile was compatible. I have tried iDroid, but the USB wasn't detected, and the iDroid project whilst i like it, has not made enough progress to install for this non-tech user. the major one being the gpu power management.

on another related note:

I want an OS i can install on any smartphone, as i please, as these smartphones come out with decently powerful hardware and then are ditched a year later .. so isn't that an amazing Linux principle? to rejuvenate old hardware? the survey says ...'YES!' I hope one is out there, but a Kubuntu Mobile option to install on all devices would be awesome!

a cpu MIPS/PPC/SPARC/ARM version over usb would be amazing.

Heres the (usability) idea, you plug in your smartphone to a Canonical OS via USB, download the equivalent of a smartphone LUBI, tell the LUBI which architecture the CPU is or even better have LUBI detect it over USB, then LUBI installs to the phone via USB over the PC's/laptop's internet connection retrieving and installing files/drivers etc.

The iPhone 2G is round about EOL just now but how many were sold? what happens on the next ditch? some devs could make life sooo easier for a lot of people who have usable Smartphones but have been ditched by Apple.

I suppose that was my sales pitch for any devs out there who wanna give it a try.

peace

Dava
    Last edited by dava4444; July 11th, 2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: forget ARM architecture duh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can I install Kubuntu Mobile instead of iOS?

BBUUUMMMPP

this is the top hit in google for this.

please any help?

Dava

Beans

i can't help but i was just googling something like this for my old 3g. I think i was looking to put meego on it but I think i saw some people saying it was impossible. something about chip architecture? but don't take my word for it. and i will be watching this thread. so good luck to all of us!

Beans

Not gonna happen. Phones are riddled with DRM and have protections in place to keep you from doing things like this, especially the iPhone. AFAIK the dev's dont even have openiboot working on the new devices yet, let alone Android.

Beans

but on the 3g it should work right?

http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Op...t#Installation

it says there is a linux kernal on the phone... or were you saying that in order to put the kubuntu mobile on there someone would actually have to assemble it and make drivers etc a la linux of 1994?