Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: X Server a bit messy...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: X Server a bit messy...

The "cat" code worked this time around... after I "cd /". But I am still being disconnected from Plymouth. Interestingly enough the recovery boots worked this time and the normal ones did not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxhadowespio View Post
    The "cat" code worked this time around... after I "cd /". But I am still being disconnected from Plymouth. Interestingly enough the recovery boots worked this time and the normal ones did not.
    That command doesn't fix things.

I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that I needed to see the output of that to see what broken packages... I still would like to see that please.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh it just does its job and leaves. What I mean by that is that there is no output. Just another line to enter your commands. I thought it would fix things because of " | grep broken". I am unfamiliar with something like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh it just does its job and leaves. What I mean by that is that there is no output. Just another line to enter your commands. I thought it would fix things because of " | grep broken". I am unfamiliar with something like that.
    So from what you just said- form the output of apt-get's history, grep is not seeing any broken packages? And there was was out from "sudo apt-get install -f" saying there were any dependency problems of packages that needed to be fixed?

And there "is" still a problem with all that right? (It just didn't go away on you and we just didn't realize it, right? I think I already know that answer.

I know I'm going to regret this but, can you please post the whole /var/log/apt/history.log file. as it is, without any filters...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So from what you just said- form the output of apt-get's history, grep is not seeing any broken packages? And there was was out from "sudo apt-get install -f" saying there were any dependency problems of packages that needed to be fixed?
    If I remember correctly there are no remaining packages that need to be fixed. Although if you say so I will find out once more. I believe the problem is that I need a specific "xserver-xorg-core" package version. The one that I had before problems. If I wanted to update the package I should have updated "xserver" altogether no?
    And there "is" still a problem with all that right? (It just didn't go away on you and we just didn't realize it, right? I think I already know that answer.
    No it is still there.
    I know I'm going to regret this but, can you please post the whole /var/log/apt/history.log file. as it is, without any filters...
    How do you suppose I do that? First of all what line of code would enable for me to view it all? And second would the output not be quite long? How can I "pastebin" all of that? Unless you expect me to copy down the entire thing on paper by hand then type it all over again here...

Edit: Oh wait never mind I was thinking of something else (for viewing the history.log on the command line).
    Last edited by Neoxhadowespio; July 10th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If I remember correctly there are no remaining packages that need to be fixed. Although if you say so I will find out once more. I believe the problem is that I need a specific "xserver-xorg-core" package version. The one that I had before problems. If I wanted to update the package I should have updated "xserver" altogether no?
    No it is still there.
    How do you suppose I do that? First of all what line of code would enable for me to view it all? And second would the output not be quite long? How can I "pastebin" all of that? Unless you expect me to copy down the entire thing on paper by hand then type it all over again here...

Edit: Oh wait never mind I was thinking of something else (for viewing the history.log on the command line).
    So know that there are no broken packages and no unmet dependencies (reported)... Does that mean xserver-core or whatever now shows no errors from __ ?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nothing new...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nothing new...
    Now that those problems are fixed...

Please remove "splash" and "quiet" from your grub menu entries.

Instructions:
    1) Edit the file /etc/default/grub as root*. You should see a line that looks like:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Comment this line out
    Code:
    # GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    or delete the text within the quotation marks, leaving the quotation marks...
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
    Either way / One of the two methods. Save and exit.

2) Run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot and see what happens / if it fixes it.

* There are many ways to edit a file as root. I prefer if required from a terminal > type "sudo vi file_name". If I have an Xsession (even from a LiveCD) then "sudo gedit file_name." Since you do Kubuntu then you might be more familiar with "kdesudo kate file_name"?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 10th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Will do. I think I would prefer GNU Nano
    But I have never dwelled too deep into the "politics" of this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Will do. I think I would prefer GNU Nano
    But I have never dwelled too deep into the "politics" of this.
    Yes, all personal preferences. LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast