Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Dualboot Two Hard Drives

Ok, thought I would post my sudo fdisk -l if it helps.

Disk /dev/hda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 23944 192330148+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 23945 24321 3028252+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 23945 24321 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    alex@alex-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hda1
    UUID=8601ca78-c262-4017-b686-39f49c8d933d / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/hda5
    UUID=6ba7751a-3ff5-41f6-8223-9dc22cc1c196 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/ /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    Any advice, I'm pulling my hair out!
    Your Village called, their Idiot is missing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Ok, thought I would post my sudo fdisk -l if it helps.

Any advice, I'm pulling my hair out!
    Was your hdb with Windows connected when you did fdisk -l?
    If it was, then you might want to check the jumper settings & make sure the IDE connector is fully & correctly inserted, as well as, the power connection.

I don't really know what else to look for, setting the slave drive controller to "auto" in bios corrected the grub error 21 for me...you might want to start another thread in the Beginner's section & maybe someone more experienced with computers can give you a solution...Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

thanks for this guide. i have been using ubuntu solely for the last year and a half and started get butt loads of buissness and need a windows machine to run some of the progs cause vmware was too slow and wine was unrealiable. so i added a 80 gig hard drive i had laying around. so thanks i had success with editing grub the normal way.

Beans

Hi! right I also posted this else where on the forums encase its not directly Grub related...

Anyhow ive edited my Grub menu as suggested in the first post, rebooted and it loads fine, displays Windows XP and Ubuntu.. I can then boot into Windows with no problems, though if I select Ubuntu it comes up with:

/bin/sh: can't access tty ; job control turned off
    (Along with a number of file or root errors above?)

If I then turn off the PC, unplug the Windows driver and restart, select Ubuntu from the Grub load it will then goes in fine without any issues.

Both harddrives are SATA.

Couple of side question:

- Grub doesn't seem to be work with my USB wireless Keyboard (though Legacy is turned on in Bios, & keyboard works fine for Bios.)

- How can I change the order displayed on the Grub, and remove old Kernals (I have read up on this though found it confusing).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlist View Post
    <snip />
    - How can I <snip /> remove old Kernals (I have read up on this though found it confusing).
    Just put double hashes and a whitespace to the left of all the old kernel stuff. That should make it all disappear, but still be in the file in case you need it.
    thall

Beans
    Distro

Alexander Grundner on:
    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/26...al-boot_ubuntu

has a set of very easy instructions for ubuntu on the master and windows on the
    slave that does not involve any editing of the menu.lst file. He writes:

"When you boot up the PC for the first time you'll see the GRUB boot loader shown here. Ubuntu is selected by default and gives you the option to scroll down and boot into Windows if you prefer.

Side note: Ubuntu is actually smart enough during the install process to detect you have Windows installed on your SLAVE drive and configures GRUB for you."

Later he writes that nothing is changed on the windows drive and if you want to
    boot into windows directly without grub, you just make that disk the master.

Any views on this? I am just getting ready to install ubuntu on two disks, want to
    make linux first, but don't want to change anything on the windows disk. ANd
    of course, want this to be smooth as silk.

Michl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Michl View Post
    Alexander Grundner on:
    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/26...al-boot_ubuntu

has a set of very easy instructions for ubuntu on the master and windows on the
    slave that does not involve any editing of the menu.lst file. He writes:

"When you boot up the PC for the first time you'll see the GRUB boot loader shown here. Ubuntu is selected by default and gives you the option to scroll down and boot into Windows if you prefer.

Side note: Ubuntu is actually smart enough during the install process to detect you have Windows installed on your SLAVE drive and configures GRUB for you."

Later he writes that nothing is changed on the windows drive and if you want to
    boot into windows directly without grub, you just make that disk the master.

Any views on this? I am just getting ready to install ubuntu on two disks, want to
    make linux first, but don't want to change anything on the windows disk. ANd
    of course, want this to be smooth as silk.

Michl
    Yes, this should work, Ubuntu would be hd0(the "master" drive) and does add an entry to boot Windows without affecting the Windows mbr...when I first wrote the "howto", I was quite unfamiliar with Ubuntu or Linux and I wanted to be absolutely sure the Windows mbr wasn't overwritten...later on, I found out that the method that you found in the link should work...I've read of other people reporting this has worked for them. Ubuntu installer will automatically install grub to the hd0 mbr(Ubuntu), unless you choose otherwise, which in your case, you'd go with hd0.
    As long as you've selected your Ubuntu drive as the first boot hard drive in bios(which would make it hd0), you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't try it, but you could probably install Ubuntu to your slave drive & if it's set in bios as your first booted hard drive, it "should" be recognized as hd0, even though it's connected to hdb. That's where people get into trouble installing on a pc with multiple hard drives, especially if there is a mix of IDE & SATA...Ubuntu may be installed on the 3rd hard drive set up to boot in bios, but grub is automatically installed to hd0, whichever hard drive is set to boot first. The Ubuntu installer is quite "adept" at detecting other OS and including entries in grub to boot them...you can't just go changing boot order, or switching hard drive positions after Ubuntu is installed and expect a system to boot...changes can be made to grub, but you have to "jump through hoops" & understand how grub works to get everything reconfigured in grub.
    Thanks for bringing this up, let us know how your install went...good luck.

Alexander Grudner's new location for his how'to, thanks to ssican(post #150):
    http://www.alexandergrundner.com/200...th-two-drives/
    Last edited by confused57; July 19th, 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I am installed with ubuntu on the master. This part seems to
    work. But now I am running into many new questions. Need to
    take it slow.
    Michl

Beans

Does any one know if the above code for a dual boot involving 2 hard drives win 98 (master) and lunix. thanks

Beans

will this dual boot solution also work with WIN 98 ? thks

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast