Thread: Where are some good places to get a computer without paying for an operating system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Where are some good places to get a computer without paying for an operating system?

Fourth year Ubuntu user here, and I'm now in the market for a new computer.

Most of the places I go and websites I visit only sell desktops and laptops with Windows pre-installed. That's roughly a $200 markup, and it's a waste of my hard-earned money for garbage I'm not going to use anyway.

What are some good places I can get some hardware without an operating system, or maybe with Ubuntu (or some other free operating system) installed?

I know System76 has some high-end computers, and I know that Dell used to sell Ubuntu computers. Are there any other places I can look to expand my possibilities?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Where are some good places to get a computer without paying for an operating syst

i built my own system
    i probably spent around 400 for a quad core with a decent video card 12 gigs of ram
    originally had 4 gigs in it but i could not resist 27 dollars a stick for ddr3 1600
    resused a case, hdd, and psu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    we don't care about part 3 (windows 7 install)

mine was 336 before i added another 8 gigs of ram, dvd drive, and a card reader about 3 months ago
    a modest dual core would cost about 225 today
    edit:
    basic budget dual core system (just slapped this together at newegg)

reusing a old case will same you a bit
    upgrades will be cheap down the road
    that currently cost about 260 but it is all reliable hardware and it would not take much to make it a budget gaming system (about another 125-150)
    there was a combo deal the other day for under 200 but there was no express x16 2.0 slot on the board
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; July 7th, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Where are some good places to get a computer without paying for an operating syst

Build your own desktop. As for laptops, tough luck. System76 comes with Ubuntu. Some Dells come with Ubuntu. Might find the odd Ubuntu laptop here and there. No manufacturer would sell a machine without an OS I'd imagine.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Build your own, great project.

You will learn alot about computers (if you dont already) it is surprisingly simple to do.

And you will learn alot about Linux too, and fixing issues later in Linux when you really know what is inside is so much easier.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

digilink.com