Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microsoft

73 45.06%
  • Apple

45 27.78%
  • BSD

5 3.09%
  • Linux itself (I'm part of a conspiracy)

39 24.07%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is more anti-Linux, Windows or Apple?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Who is more anti-Linux, Windows or Apple?

I am going to go with Apple on this one. Even though Microsoft has been the big bad face of everything anti-open source since the beginning of time, Apple has surprised me recently. Instead of just saying you can't change the software or copy it, Apple even tries to make it impossible to do that. It is becoming impossible to even use your iPod as a flash drive anymore (I can't do it on my iTouch without jailbreaking it first). Also Apple is the only real competitor to android. As I see it there are really 4 different classes of computerdom: Desktop, mobile, servers, other. Right now Windows is winning by far (but I think this will change soon) in the desktop category. In the mobile category it is at about a tie between Apple and Linux. In servers Linux is probably winning. And other I would consider supercomputers, house-hold appliances, stuff like that. Which would mean that linux also wins other.
    THE TRUTH HAS NO AGENDA...
    "There is no "Good" or "Evil", only Power and Weakness, and those who fail to see this."- The Dark Lord

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Who is more anti-Linux, Windows or Apple?

I don't think Microsoft or Apple really care that much about Linux on desktops.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think apple is more anti-freedom than anti-linux, but since linux is *the* free operating system, they're against it by default .
    I had to do it.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Apple is way, way more evil than MS has ever been.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    I don't think Microsoft or Apple really care that much about Linux on desktops.
    Are you saying they underestimate us? They think that it's only a war between them? And that the Linux craze will die out in time!?!?! The fools!!!!!!!! I agree with you
    THE TRUTH HAS NO AGENDA...
    "There is no "Good" or "Evil", only Power and Weakness, and those who fail to see this."- The Dark Lord

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If this was about the users, I would say that Windows users tend to look at Linux with more negativism than Mac users. Maybe its because Linux is Unix-like.

Has for companies itself, I don't think they really care. But if I had to pick one, I would say that MS might have more reasons to worry than Apple. Mac users are very loyal.

Cheers

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Apple is small and it won't bother you if you stay out of its way. But MS is a huge monopolistic entity and it tries to own everything. I think it is more of a threat than Apple.

Well it may not care about Linux desktop,--which however is not true, but let's say it is for argument's sake,-- but it is just like saying the elephant does not care about you but it will stomp on you carelessly nevertheless, and the result would be the same.
    Last edited by beew; July 5th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Apple is small
    O'rly?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Total assets: US$ 75.18 billion.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Apple is small and it won't bother you if you stay out of its way. But MS is a huge monopolistic entity and it tries to own everything. I think it is more of a threat than Apple.
    Hehe, where have you been for the last 5 years or so? Apple holds large shares in some areas (phones) and a near monopoly in portable media players and tablets, and they're abusing every second of it. Don't like your ipod/ipad's default theme? Too bad, it's the only one and that's not changing unless you jailbreak. You want to jailbreak? Looks like you have to sync to your computer with itunes before you're allowed to use it now. Want to execute code not blessed by the holy jobs and placed in the app store? See point one. Want to just drag and drop your music like you used to? Nope, only allowed to do it through itunes now,
    Last edited by Dustin2128; July 5th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    I had to do it.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    O'rly?
    Comparing to MS?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast