Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Question Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Hello all,

    First i would like to say that ubuntu is not new for me ... So i know pretty mutch what i'm doing. I don't want to do profit from the free community or somthing.

    My situation :

    I Have a Ubuntu server 11.04 with 1 NIC and static ip : 192.168.1.3

    What have i done :

    apt-get install ssh-server > OK
    set ssh-config file to port 7100 > OK , port check OK
    check that service is running > OK
    do SSH session from internal > OK , working over port 7100 with putty and from other linux machine
    I have installed :

    apt-get install no-ip + host setup + login etc... > OK
    check ip : cron http://www.whatismyip.org > OK
    check status no-ip > working
    ping to "host" from no-ip > OK , ping ok

    MY GOAL :

    ssh from work to home over port 7100( i'm 1000% sure its a open port )
    At the moment i'm trying from home to get this working.

    so i do in putty : external ip( i see on ubuntu server ) + port 7100 > connection refused ...

    I have forwarded following ports in my DD-wrt router :

    port 7100-7101 TCP/UDP( i know i only need TCP) ip : external + static internal

    I think when i try to connect from external that i end at my router ... that i try to connect there to the external ip???

    is it possible that i connect to my no-ip host? I don't care if i have to connect to my external IP , since its not changing anymore...

    If you need more info from me , i'm happy to send

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    8,627
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Forwarding

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    ...

    I have forwarded following ports in my DD-wrt router :

    port 7100-7101 TCP/UDP( i know i only need TCP) ip : external + static internal ...
    Are you sure? Try an external port scanner and point it at port 7100.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Lars,

    Thank you for your reply :

    Error: I could not see your service on 178.119.233.187 on port (7100)
    Reason: Connection refused

    I have added the screenshot from my dd-wrt router


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    what am i doing wrong? I tought this what correct?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    1,941

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    Lars,

    Thank you for your reply :

    Error: I could not see your service on 178.119.233.187 on port (7100)
    Reason: Connection refused

    I have added the screenshot from my dd-wrt router


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    what am i doing wrong? I tought this what correct?
    Perhaps the SSH2 entry is making it mess up?

    You should only have one entry in dd-wrt, and the IP it's asking for is the local IP on your LAN.
    Last edited by arrrghhh; July 5th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    Lars,

    Thank you for your reply :

    Error: I could not see your service on 178.119.233.187 on port (7100)
    Reason: Connection refused

    I have added the screenshot from my dd-wrt router


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    what am i doing wrong? I tought this what correct?
    UPDATE :

    Success: I can see your service on 178.117.144.98 on port (7100)
    Your ISP is not blocking port 7100

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Perhaps the SSH2 entry is making it mess up?

    You should only have one entry in dd-wrt, and the IP it's asking for is the local IP on your LAN.
    check my update below and screenshot in my reply to you :


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    I will test tomorrow.

    Now i want to set a computer(windows xp ) that my traffic will go over SSH trough the network over my network to the internet ... I presume that i have to use a proxy again? Or setup a proxy in my browser for the windows xp?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    1,941

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    UPDATE :

    Success: I can see your service on 178.117.144.98 on port (7100)
    Your ISP is not blocking port 7100
    So are you good?

    If it's fixed, go ahead and use the "Thread Tools" drop-down to mark this thread [SOLVED].

    Either way, if it is working I would remove the entry on the port forward page that has your WAN IP. That's not necessary, at all. The whole point of that port forward page is to forward ports from your LAN to the outside internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    check my update below and screenshot in my reply to you :


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    I will test tomorrow.

    Now i want to set a computer(windows xp ) that my traffic will go over SSH trough the network over my network to the internet ... I presume that i have to use a proxy again? Or setup a proxy in my browser for the windows xp?
    Edit - just saw this post.

    Looks good. As for your other question, I do this and yes you would need a proxy. I use a SOCKS proxy thru putty on the XP machine to connect back to my server @ home.
    Last edited by arrrghhh; July 5th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    So are you good?

    If it's fixed, go ahead and use the "Thread Tools" drop-down to mark this thread [SOLVED].

    Either way, if it is working I would remove the entry on the port forward page that has your WAN IP. That's not necessary, at all. The whole point of that port forward page is to forward ports from your LAN to the outside internet.
    I will test this tomorrow @ other pc ... I can putty myself in trought the external IP .. I don't know if its like FTP that when you connect trought external IP that you connect over LAN IP when you are in the same subnet.

    And also i have added a second "small question"...

    I have been reading that you can tunnel your traffic with SSH and set it up in firefox so surf over the internet trough the SSH tunnel... Yet i don't know how to do this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    So are you good?

    If it's fixed, go ahead and use the "Thread Tools" drop-down to mark this thread [SOLVED].

    Either way, if it is working I would remove the entry on the port forward page that has your WAN IP. That's not necessary, at all. The whole point of that port forward page is to forward ports from your LAN to the outside internet.



    Edit - just saw this post.

    Looks good. As for your other question, I do this and yes you would need a proxy. I use a SOCKS proxy thru putty on the XP machine to connect back to my server @ home.
    Can this be it? : http://vectrosecurity.com/content/view/67/26/

    IF i understand correctly, i have connect to Putty... log myself in and setup firefox ( IE compatible?) to use local proxy?

    We both type fast can you please explain with a screenshot or guide? I'm a pretty exp. guy in IT , because i studied for it and work in it -_- But , SOCKS proxy is unknown for me ...
    Last edited by ward86; July 5th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    1,941

    Re: Ubuntu server 11.04 + NO-IP + SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by ward86 View Post
    Can this be it? : http://vectrosecurity.com/content/view/67/26/

    IF i understand correctly, i have connect to Putty... log myself in and setup firefox ( IE compatible?) to use local proxy?

    We both type fast can you please explain with a screenshot or guide? I'm a pretty exp. guy in IT , because i studied for it and work in it -_- But , SOCKS proxy is unknown for me ...
    Heh, we type too fast it seems .

    I took a brief look at that guide, and that's exactly what I do. Basically in putty under the tunnels section I forward a port, and then in FireFox I set it up to use the proxy pointed back to the localhost of the XP machine. Works very well, PM me if you want some help on it. Kinda outside of the scope of the Ubuntu forums .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •