Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your Hardware getting too old for the latest version of your favourite Distro ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Is your Hardware getting too old for the latest version of your favourite Distro ??

Hi,

Natty (32 Bit)
    Athlon 64X2 5600+ Ram: 2GB
    HDD: 160 GB SATA
    Graphics : Geforce 9500GT VRAM: 1GB

My hardware is almost 3 years old now , leaving that Nvidia Graphics Card which I purchased 6 months back the LCD Screen [http://is.gd/KQxBxW] which is I purchased almost a year ago.

I don't how many more upgrades will be possible with this hardware configuration.

Although technically it is possible to run this PC for next 10 years with lightweight distributions but using that setup as your primary PC is too modest a thing for me.

I will upgrade soon, probably at the middle of 2013. PC hardware is very expensive in India.

I was just wondering, how many more Ubuntu's will this PC run ?

What do you guys think ?

Also please share your own situation.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; July 5th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is your Hardware getting too old for the latest version of your favourite Distro

my laptop is almost 4 years...

dell inspiron e1505
    processor: 1.83
    memory: 2 gigs
    ati radeon 128mb
    hd: 80gb

but i feel ya...im thinking the same thing...

i really dont want to move to another distro. im used to ubuntu already.

i keep wondering if it will run gnome shell. i think not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Is your Hardware getting too old for the latest version of your favourite Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mixint27 View Post
    my laptop is almost 4 years...

dell inspiron e1505
    processor: 1.83
    memory: 2 gigs
    ati radeon 128mb
    hd: 80gb

but i feel ya...im thinking the same thing...

i really dont want to move to another distro. im used to ubuntu already.

i keep wondering if it will run gnome shell. i think not.
    Click

You can give it a try. Even if it runs I guess it will make your system very slow. I used used for a month. Didn't like it.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I was just wondering, how many more Ubuntu's will this PC run ?
    A lot. It's fairly easy to strip Ubuntu down so it'll run on older hardware.

Zero2Nine Guest

Probably Ubuntu will keep some sort of a fallback mode either the one Gnome3 provides or, like now, a classic desktop. And of course there will be Unity2d. So I think in 2013 you should still be able to run all Ubuntus with 'bells and whistles'.

Zero2Nine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    True but I think he means to run it with all the fancy stuff. When minimal Ubuntu installations or other *buntu versions are an option that hardware should be able to run *buntu for at least 5 years to come I'd guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That's not bad at all. I think you should be good for quite a few years to come. Most people have computers with far inferior specs to those, but it doesn't stop even heavyweight distros like ubuntu. Ubuntu natty, for instance, runs fine on an old pentium 4 2.5GHz with 1GB of some weird early RAM and a GeForce 4200 (64Mb).
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dude. I have a single core AMD V140 CPU (from the lowest spectrum), a 512 Mobility Radeon HD4000, and 2 GB of ram. If it weren't for the ATI GPU and the associated problems, there's no distro that I couldn't run, old or new. This way, I gotta wait for a bit before the binary drivers catch up.

Plus, if you try the latest KDE and Gnome, you'll see that they continually use fewer resources. Gnome Shell starts with 150 MB of ram here, and the latest KDE is arround 250. Even Unity doesn't go above 300.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Also why are you using 32-bit natty? Your processor is an Athlon64. Assuming your ram slots can handle it, you can upgrade the amount of ram you have pretty far- depending on the age of the motherboard, up to 8-16GB is possible, indeed, cheap, if you have lower clocked DDR2.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero2Nine View Post
    True but I think he means to run it with all the fancy stuff.
    Actually I am not interested in visual effects at all. I don't like Gnome 3 or unity. That's why

I am running LXDE over my Ubuntu installation & its running really fast ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    That's not bad at all. I think you should be good for quite a few years to come. Most people have computers with far inferior specs to those, but it doesn't stop even heavyweight distros like ubuntu. Ubuntu natty, for instance, runs fine on an old pentium 4 2.5GHz with 1GB of some weird early RAM and a GeForce 4200 (64Mb).
    Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    Dude. I have a single core AMD V140 CPU (from the lowest spectrum), a 512 Mobility Radeon HD4000, and 2 GB of ram. If it weren't for the ATI GPU and the associated problems, there's no distro that I couldn't run, old or new. This way, I gotta wait for a bit before the binary drivers catch up.

Plus, if you try the latest KDE and Gnome, you'll see that they continually use fewer resources. Gnome Shell starts with 150 MB of ram here, and the latest KDE is arround 250. Even Unity doesn't go above 300.

Look, I have an old Celeron 2.13 with 386 mb or Ram. I am running Xubuntu 10.04 on it.

The only thing I do with it is download large files via torrents.

My web surfing experience is not that good using it. The pages load quiet slow in comparison to my AMD. I wonder why ? Isn't the line speed which determines page loading speed ? I can't really explain but it behaves in a shaky manner.

So, my main PC may run for the next 5 years with maybe Lubuntu or Ubuntu minimal install but isn't a performance drop expected ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast