Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wifi only temporarily connects on Asus EEE 1000HE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wifi only temporarily connects on Asus EEE 1000HE

- what's the quickest way to find out if my driver is also affected, apart from the obvious effect of dropping the wireless link (I've just installed 11.04)?
    Your wireless can drop for other reasons aside from the driver. You can have interference on the same channel as you router; most routers are set to channel 6 by default. You might try 1 or 11. Your router might have a signal strength setting; is it as high as possible? Please see attached.

You might have conflicting drivers loaded. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rt2
    Finally, unless someone has the exact same kernel as you, the exact same gcc version, etc., just emailing the pre-compiled version won't work. Moreover, why ask someone else to do the hard work for you? Actually, when you get down to it, it's not very hard.

I was actually surprised that the built-in version didn't work as well as the compiled from source version. I learn something surprising every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi Chili555,

Too true that it could be something else. I have put it to rest for now. The netbook is owned by a friend and so far it seems to work fine on his wireless network.

However the symtoms just looked the same as described here.
    I also have these little freezes, where the desktop becomes unusable for about 10-15secs and then goes just normal again. And I saw that mentioned in these bug reports you pointed to.
    I don't think it's a router/power issue, as the win XP on this Eeee works fine without a hitch.
    I might be back here if it fails on his network.

Will that new source make it in the standard Ubuntu release at some time?

Andreas

Beans
    Distro

Will that new source make it in the standard Ubuntu release at some time?
    Yes. 'Some time' is, of course, a relative term.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Question Re: Wifi only temporarily connects on Asus EEE 1000HE

Dear all / Chilli

I followed this excellent walkthrough as I was experiencing the same symptoms. The installation seemed to be done ok, the new driver is in use and my wifi was working. So I thought it was done.

But unfortunately my wifi still refuses to work after some minutes. My system did download some updates, so I even tried the final steps you've mention to re-compile and re-insert (sorry if I use wrong terminology) the driver/module into the kernel.

All I am getting is just few minutes of wifi and then I am stuck with ethernet.

Any help? Please let me know output of which commands should I post here in order to provide necessary information.

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Brandon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonSk View Post
    Dear all / Chilli

I followed this excellent walkthrough as I was experiencing the same symptoms. The installation seemed to be done ok, the new driver is in use and my wifi was working. So I thought it was done.

But unfortunately my wifi still refuses to work after some minutes. My system did download some updates, so I even tried the final steps you've mention to re-compile and re-insert (sorry if I use wrong terminology) the driver/module into the kernel.

All I am getting is just few minutes of wifi and then I am stuck with ethernet.

Any help? Please let me know output of which commands should I post here in order to provide necessary information.

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Brandon.
    As this thread is quite old, please start your own new thread and include:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280

Beans

Thank you for a quick response.
    Here is the new thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12440420

and I am closing my discussion here.
    Cheers,
    Brandon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234