Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really old desktop - DE needed

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Really old desktop - DE needed

I have a really old desktop which i want to fire up with the most basic yet most user friendly distro. I almost immediately chose Linux Mint. However I'm confused between the XFCE and LXDE editions. Could someone point out the advantages/disadvantages of both? My main criteria is a complete out of box experience with minimal installations like the main linux mint edition.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; July 5th, 2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Really old desktop - DE needed

you didn't say what kind of computer you have.

but if it can handle XFCE then use XFCE if not then something lighter. LXDE is still sort of alpha, but very promising. if computer can't handle XFCE but can do with LXDE then LXDE is definatelly the choice to use. it gives life to old mashcines.

I would suggest Mint XFCE and then lock the repos to Debian stable (since you want to go linux mint)
    Another option very light is Chrunchbang which is based on Debian stable and comes with XFCE or openbox.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you didn't say what kind of computer you have.

but if it can handle XFCE then use XFCE if not then something lighter. LXDE is still sort of alpha, but very promising. if computer can't handle XFCE but can do with LXDE then LXDE is definatelly the choice to use. it gives life to old mashcines.

I would suggest Mint XFCE and then lock the repos to Debian stable (since you want to go linux mint)
    Another option very light is Chrunchbang which is based on Debian stable and comes with XFCE or openbox.
    Its a pentium 4 1.8ghz. (i think) first in its class processor .. 512 sdram ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Crunchbang Openbox for sure, nice lightweight, only issue i suppose would be configuration.
    Computer Specs:
    ----1gb DDR1 SDRAM
    ----Intel Celeron D 3.06ghz
    ----Nvidia 6200 GT Gigabyte

Beans

Pentium 4 with 512mb RAM is perfectly fine for either Xfce or LXDE. I recommend you try a Live CD of each to see which you prefer. You could even install both desktop environments simultaneously and choose between them depending on your mood that day... a Desktop Environment is simply a user interface or "skin." It is the same "core" operating system underneath, and the same user applications on top.

At the end of the day, the applications you choose (and how you use them) will have a bigger impact on performance than your choice of distro/desktop environment. For example I gave my old laptop a big performance boost by installing ad-block and flash-block plugins for my browser...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rkakkar View Post
    Its a pentium 4 1.8ghz. (i think) first in its class processor .. 512 sdram ..
    That's not old

Crunchbang works nicely on a netbook with 512MB; slightly slow in loading of apps but for netbook use very acceptable.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm running 11.04 (and previously 10.04) on P4 with less than 512MB of RAM.

LXDE will be so fast on your machine.

Lubuntu 11.04 is very promising and even beyond if you ask me. It's one of my favorite OS.

Don't worry, even Ubuntu 10.04 will work but of course don't expect it to be so fast. Better go for LXDE, either Lubuntu 11.04 or Mint LXDE 10.

If you're looking for even lighter, then SliTaz. However, your Wireless Adapter and probably other devices might not work.

www.distrowatch.com is a great site that you definitely need to Bookmark.
    Here is a search result from that site: http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active
    Last edited by amjjawad; July 4th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i'll support Lubuntu (LXDE)....... but try just xubuntu (xfce) as u have 512 RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 for Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast