Thread: Volume Maximum on Boot

Hybrid View

Beans

Volume Maximum on Boot

I've noticed this problem occurring for several Ubuntu releases. It's very small, but continually annoys me. Maybe someone can confirm it's a bug and then I can submit it as such.

On the default installation of Ubuntu 11.04 (32) the audio volume was too low. Even when I set it at its maximum, I couldn't hear enough through my Logitech headset. For that, I installed alsamixer, opened it, chose "Logitech USB Headset" as the card and increased the "speaker" bar to its highest. This gave me a much higher threshold and is fine.

The problem is that when I boot Ubuntu, the volume is always at its maximum. Unless I adjust the GNOME panel slider a bit left or right, it won't return to normal. Sometimes I forget to do that and get a nasty shock in the ears.

Did anyone else come across this? Can it be fixed easily?

Beans

Re: Volume Maximum on Boot

Hi exiztone. I had a similar problem on 11.04 and 10.10 and found this bug report. Commenting out the 'flat-volumes = no' line of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf did the trick for me. I'm using a digital output for sound. Hope this helps.

Beans

Re: Volume Maximum on Boot

Quote Originally Posted by Ezraghast View Post
    Commenting out the 'flat-volumes = no' line of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf did the trick for me. I'm using a digital output for sound. Hope this helps.
    I'm having the same problem (i.e., volume maximized at reboot); unfortunately, commenting out the 'flat-volumes = no' line of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf did not work for me.