Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless driver causes system crash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Broadcom STA Wireless driver causes system crash

I just sent the following email to Broadcom (linux-wlan-client-support-list@broadcom.com). I'll post an update if I receive a response.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    The current Linux STA 802.11 driver causes my system to crash. I've verified this under Ubuntu 11.04 and Linux Mint 11 (an ubuntu derivative). Oddly enough, everything worked find under Ubuntu 10.10. My chipset is the 4321, my CPU is an AMD Phenom II 920, and the motherboard is an ASUS M3A78-EM. I tried the STA driver that ships with Ubuntu as well as compiling the one at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php, including the patch for kernel versions > 2.6.37.

I am confident that the linux driver is the problem. If I connect my machine to my router using an ethernet cable, everything works fine. Also, the wifi adapter works fine under Windows. The symptoms are that the wifi adapter appears to connect to my network correctly and works fine for short transfers. But when I try a larger transfer, such as a speed test or streaming an mp3, one of three things happens after about 5 to 10 seconds:

1) The screen remains in graphics mode but locks up, including the mouse pointer. No keyboard input has any effect.

2) The screen goes into text mode and repeats the following over and over: [435.610002] ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2CI-DMA:Out of IOMMU space for 18 bytes.

3) The screen goes into text mode and prints what appear to be CPU register contents. I took a picture of this with my phone if it will help, but obviously the text is kind of hard to make out.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless driver causes system crash

I actually have a bug report open for this at the kernel bugzilla. I was actually on Gentoo 11 when I found this and thought it might have been something I did so I switched back to Ubuntu and same thing. Only happens on kernels > 2.6.36. Might make them take it more seriously if you confirmed on the bug report.
    Last edited by Sin@Sin-Sacrifice; September 18th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

which chipset works inside the 4321? It can be two different:

14e4:4321 which may work from kernel 2.6.39 with b32
    14e4:4328 which only works imho with the STA-driver so far.

You can try for both chipsets a mainline kernel from 2.6.39 on, see here

If you installed the "linux-wireless" drivers from the backported modules you have to uninstall them first, reinstall the kernel and STA-driver, because the lib80211 subsystem drivers dont work with the STA.

Mainlinekernel-archive: Klick

I would prefer 2.6.39-4. You need all three possible packages for 32 or 64 bit.

Check with:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@Sin - I'd love to confirm your bug report but the link you provided appears to be broken.

@praseodym - I appreciate your help but what you're describing sounds like it's beyond my abilities, especially the bit about reinstalling the kernel. I've been using Ubuntu for several years and have gotten used to using these forums to resolve previously documented problems, but I'm no Linux expert. In all honesty I'm more inclined to research and buy a new wifi adapter that I know will work than spending a lot more time troubleshooting this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

FWIW, my Broadcom "4328" wireless is and has been pretty 'bulletproof' using the STA driver under 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (as in Long Term Support)- the LTS kernels see much more/better testing and much fewer changes as I understand it.

My current wireless setup is as follows:
    uname -a
    Linux DV9820-laptop 2.6.32-33-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 21:07:13 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS \n \l

lspci -vvnn | egrep 'net|ireless|etwork'
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet [10de:054c] (rev a2)
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4328] (rev 03)

lsmod | egrep 'wl|b43'
    wl 1964968 0
    lib80211 6151 2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl

iwconfig
    eth1 IEEE 802.11 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Link Quality:5 Signal level:203 Noise level:169
    Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr Ethernet MAC address
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B )
    Interrupt:27 Base address:0x8000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr WiFi Mac addresss
    inet addr:192.168.0.3 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::221:ff:fe13:2412/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1899225 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:228689
    TX packets:1053257 errors:27 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:2633289962 (2.6 GB) TX bytes:86723505 (86.7 MB)
    Interrupt:19

sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password:
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: MCP67 Ethernet
    vendor: nVidia Corporation
    physical id: a
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: a2
    serial: Ethernet MAC address
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.64 latency=0 link=no maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 multicast=yes port=MII
    resources: irq:27 memory:f2588000-f2588fff ioport:30f8(size=0B ) memory:f2589c00-f2589cff memory:f2589800-f258980f
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: 03
    serial: WiFi MAC address
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.60.48.36 ip=192.168.0.3 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
    resources: irq:19 memory:f2200000-f2203fff memory:f2000000-f20fffff(prefetchable)
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: vboxnet0
    serial: vbox MAC address
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes
    As you can see from the above, my Broadcom STA wireless has been connected for 2.6 GigaBytes (since last night sometime without a dropped connection, and I was running several VirtualBox Win98, WinXP, and Win7 "virtual machines" trying to get all the shared folders set up using Samba and Windows Networking by "bridging" my wireless into a virtual "ethernet" card)- that's not exactly the easiest task for wireless networking to do IMHO.

If you can live without whatever fancy additional 'whistles & bells' that Ubuntu 11.04 gives you, I'd seriously consider using the Long Term Support 10.04 version of Ubuntu (I've created most of my own wireless problems trying to run monitor mode with the b43 driver instead of the Broadcom proprietary "STA" driver with my "4328"- so I can't really blame that on Ubuntu or Broadcom there).

Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

If you do need more 'whistles & bells' you might want to look here at Ultimate Edition 2.7 (based upon Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and DO NOT Upgrade it to 11.xx (but you can still run whatever updates you want probably until 2015 or so- but you might need to remove 1 or 2 Ultimate Edition software repositories to make Update Manager happy ):

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate...e-edition-2-7/

Long-term support

Our long-term support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop and five years on the server. Perfect for organisations that need more stability for business deployments.

Stay up-to-date

Long-term stability doesn't come at the expense of progress with Ubuntu. You can be confident that Ubuntu will always work with the latest software and hardware. Point releases are provided for LTS versions to ensure that Ubuntu is compatible with new technologies. They are released in six-month intervals until the next full LTS version becomes available.

“I was particularly pleased with the LTS release – this is perfect for companies in which a stable server environment is paramount.” Deven Phillips, Senior Systems Administrator, Metal Sales Manufacturing
    http://www.ubuntu.com/business/deskt...g-term-support

Of course, I fell in love with the pretty blue theme of Ultimate Edition 2.8 so I "needed" to hack that theme into my setup (see attached screencap).

http://www.themelinux.com/

Just my $0.02 (and several years' experience with various flavors of Ubuntu and Mint now).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northd_tech; September 4th, 2011 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Hiding yet one more of my MAC addresses...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Off topic:

@northd_tech: You are right, Kernel 2.6.38 s***s in terms of wireless. BTW: Those "errors" in "ifconfig" occur if you use the wrong mtu-value. Ask you provider or google for that and put the number instead of "Automatic" into the NM-applet.

Back to topic:

@NGunslinger:

Thats not difficult. Do you have a wired connection? Then copy/paste the following into the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r) linux-headers-$(uname -r) dkms patch fakeroot bcmwl-kernel-source
    You dont see the password entry, dont be disturbed

This reinstalls everything you need, I dont think that you accidently installed the "backport-modules".

Reboot after that.

Beans

I fixed my link but it seems bugzilla.kernel.org is down for maintenance right now. I will come back and check to see if the link works again when kernel.org is back up.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume