Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obsession to upgrade

Beans

Re: Obsession to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jhonan View Post
    My biggest regret was upgrading my OSX from Leopard to Snow Leopard a few months ago. I've never seen the spinner so much in my life. And for no obvious benefit.

Looks like I'll just have to upgrade to OSX Lion in a few more weeks to fix it....

Probably your VM files, upgrade your ram and try disabling the VM files (swap files). When you do a Lion install rather do a fresh install than a upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jhonan View Post
    My biggest regret was upgrading my OSX from Leopard to Snow Leopard a few months ago. I've never seen the spinner so much in my life. And for no obvious benefit.

Looks like I'll just have to upgrade to OSX Lion in a few more weeks to fix it....
    My impression of Lion, is that it will present the Apple Store = marketing in more places than just iTunes.

I have Snow Leopard, but it would not successfully upgrade Leopard, though everything has been working fine since the attempted upgrade some months ago. I will wait until I have the need to do a reinstall before I will spend the time to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I won't ever be upgrading to Lion.

@jhonan: I think that your upgrade to Snow Leopard went wrong somewhere, as Snow Leopard is supposed to make things happen faster.

[edit:] It sounds like mips may have nailed it for you.
    Last edited by handy; July 1st, 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    My impression of Lion, is that it will present the Apple Store = marketing in more places than just iTunes.
    The app store takes pride of place in Snow Leopard. Which makes it extremely easy to find, download, and pay for apps. So I see one of the main benefits of the upgrade - except it wasn't of benefit to me...

@jhonan: I think that your upgrade to Snow Leopard went wrong somewhere, as Snow Leopard is supposed to make things happen faster.
    Indeed. I don't have the time to re-format/re-install so I'll live with it for the moment (one of the main reasons I moved to OSX was to get away from the Windows update/clean-up cycle, so I'm not going there again. I wanted an appliance when I moved to Mac).

It's a minor irritant anyway, sometimes firefox gets unresponsive, sometimes virtualbox bombs out, which never happened under Leopard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Probably your VM files, upgrade your ram and try disabling the VM files (swap files). When you do a Lion install rather do a fresh install than a upgrade.
    I'm on 4Gb ram already. So for Lion I'll bite the bullet and do a fresh install. Thanks for the advice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jtarin View Post
    Where does that obsession to upgrade come from? Not the normal security and version upgrades but the need to grab that next version of your favorite OS as if your life depended on it and to hell with the "change logs" and "hardware requirements"....the blind, sweating, pulse pounding waiting for the download...the burn...the install....the forum
    I think this is mainly a male thing. Though I am sure there are exceptions. But it may come from the male dominance gene that pushes us to be the alpha male. In geek world I guess this means having the latest gear and software.
    But I am not a scicology major. Hell I cant even spell the word..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Ehh.. I hate advertising. I dont mind having a program that I can open manually and lookup software or music and pay for them that way (like Software Centre). To me thats no difference the visiting newegg. But dont put that mess on MY desktop. To have the mess on the desktop and making it hard to impossible to do away with. That takes the feeling away that the desktop is yours.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Ehh.. I hate advertising. I dont mind having a program that I can open manually and lookup software or music and pay for them that way (like Software Centre).
    App store is like software centre. You start it up when you need to find software, then click to install (and pay for non-free ones). It's an icon on the dock, and doesn't push adverts at you.

The only place adverts are pushed at you are on the opening page of app store - 'featured games' etc. And in fact, I've found this very useful to find interesting new apps.

Beans

If I had a lot of money I would buy a new car every 6 months too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

People could not believe I used my Pentium 3 for as long as I did. I really didn't do anything that required a lot of processing power. Eventually when software became cheap enough to edit home videos (windows) I wanted something with more power.
    I went from DOS 5.5, to Windows 2000, and this computer has that unused XP on it.
    I still have Firefox 3.18 and use Ubuntu 10.4
    I wish my old cell phone didn't break because I like it so much better than what I use now.
    I would still drive my 13 year old car, it needed a paint job but ran well. I got rid of it when I moved.

Not everyone has to upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I think this is mainly a male thing. Though I am sure there are exceptions. But it may come from the male dominance gene that pushes us to be the alpha male. In geek world I guess this means having the latest gear and software.
    But I am not a scicology major. Hell I cant even spell the word..
    Lol, I don't know if it's mainly a male thing, or not. It certainly isn't in my case. Maybe us females just don't chime into the discussions as much.

For me, in the early years of using Ubuntu and trying various other distros, upgrading was the sheer joy of seeing things develop and improve so fast.

After XP had been left to stagnate for most of a decade, it was a revelation to find there were distros in the world that were actually bustling with enormous energy, and lively competition to be the best.

For a while, there was only Vista for upgrading XP (which was a bit like exchanging an aging, tattered Cinderella with her ugly step-sister), so the idea of staying with Windows held no appeal. Especially when all the fun was happening wherever Windows wasn't.

So, up until very recently, upgrades (for me) were not only fun and interesting, but with each step forward, everything just got better and better (especially hardware support). I had no intention of ever staying behind again.

But now I'm over it and not so interested in "new" for the sake of new anymore. I'm happy with simpler things like stability, and familiarity...and, so far, I don't see anything new that inspires that old excitement. I'm hoping that both Unity and Gnome 3 really shine in the next few versions. We'll see...

Maybe next year "upgrade fever" will strike this ol' girl again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast