Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Jolly July Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Jolly July Screenshots

Still fooling around with Unity...and conky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My first steps into Arch Linux....via CTKArch.

http://i.imgur.com/1Qcpx.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    Can you tell us what that wallpaper is or provide a link?

Beans

Mine. 10.04.3, with very little modification (on the outside).

Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by Whistling Nixie; July 24th, 2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Adding a screenshot

Beans

Decided to provide a dirty screenshot. I'm not providing a clean screenshot as my desktop is the same as the last time.

What's running in DOSBox is WANTGONE.EXE, which runs a DOSified Want You Gone. By coincidence it just happened to have got to "You want your freedom?/Take it./That's what I'm counting on." when I took the screenshot.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Bibo
    I like the Windows snap thing, but the dock hides all the time, and if they set it to where I could hit the left side of the screen to bring it up rather than the top left corner only then I'd be happy with the dock. I don't like the applications menu at all, I don't get why it needs to suggest software to me and why it only shows 6 applications that I use frequently. It's dumb to be given choice of either typing to search for an application, or to bring up an entire menu of all your applications at once when the category organization that's the normal way feels so much simpler. There's just too many clicks for me. I have a small screen, but I have Cairo dock set to reserve space for itself at all times. I find having to hit the edge of a screen to call the dock more annoying than sacrificing some vertical pixels. Also I didn't like that they stuffed everything from the title bar into the global menu like the close, minimize, and maximize buttons.

Also, you don't need Natty for the Windows snap, you can set it up in compiz.
    Yeah, the Dash in Unity seems rather awful now with so many better variations on the idea out there. Even OSX Lion's new Dash is following the model that Gnome Shell and Pantheon did. I still use Synapse for all of my launching needs (and don't have a main menu of any kind) and I get the sense that, for a machine with a keyboard, search-based launching is really the most efficient method, and the Dash screen is more about providing an overview of installed apps than it is about everyday launching. (Why dig out an app by yourself when you can just ask for it?) But no matter what it's for, Unity's model is flawed.

There are a lot of Aero Snap equivalents, some of which work on 10.10, none of which are actually equivalent to Aero Snap. The Grid plugin can be compiled for 10.10, but as I understand it, that version is more like a tiling window manager than Snap (keyboard driven.) Other workarounds pre-Grid depend on mouse position only, so just touching the screen edges by accident ends up tossing things around. At the moment, I have a command set to clicking the top edge that un-maximizes a window horizontally and toggles the vertical maximization, which feels roughly like pinning and unpinning a window to an imaginary clothesline. If the Grid is unpredictable even in 11.04, then I'm not all interested in it.

I've taken to having the dock always visible, too, though I keep it relatively small (~25px) and on the left, which means it's taking up fewer pixels than it would be otherwise. I'm on a netbook screen as well, at least when I'm not using an external at home. Unity's dock actually can be set to always visible, which solves some of the problems you're talking about, but it's fat and cluttered, of course, in comparison to what you can do with Cairo Dock or AWN. I actually have my dock housing only DockBarX, and I'd just use DockBarX naked if the theme of the dock could be changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by omns View Post
    OS X Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by omns View Post
    Unity
    No Gnome Shell?

Does Lion have the dock at the side by default or did you just move it there?
    I <3 ROX!

Zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo
    Zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bottom by default, but it's always been movable, and it's hilarious to see it on the left in the Mission Control shot. I didn't realize you could make it stop being ugly, though, and the Gnome Shell look makes that cap all the more precious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just a quick update on my new Arch set up:

http://dobbie03.deviantart.com/#/d41gv24

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast