Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to delete Simple Backup Suite back up files from hdd?

Beans

Re: How to delete Simple Backup Suite back up files from hdd?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Well - if you're referring to the 2007-12-07_00.51.35.550873.user-desktop.corrupt folder name, it sort-of makes sense, although it has a measure of daftness about it. But it makes me wonder what is special about 51 minutes, 35 and a bit seconds after midnight on 7th December 2007. I somehow doubt that was when you first or last ran sbackup, seeing as you are using Natty.
    Just to make it stranger I only started using Ubuntu maverick about February or March time (this year) and upgraded just last week to natty! I only ever try back up just this week!

By the way, did you see my last post? You posted only seconds after me and may have missed it.
    Yep working on getting Nautilus... I use terminal

Beans

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geezanansa
    I love ubuntu. Time to start learning commands.....
    sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/underscores_strokes/and.dots

I had starting to think all i had to do was either sudo and delete filenames or sudo change permissions filename. Went looking for tutorials on command lines and easy to see i aint the first to be where i at with having my eyes opened by the huge benefits of using command but daunted by learning code.
    That command line on first page of tutorial and summed it up perfect for me.

Well - if you're referring to the 2007-12-07_00.51.35.550873.user-desktop.corrupt folder name, it sort-of makes sense, although it has a measure of daftness about it. But it makes me wonder what is special about 51 minutes, 35 and a bit seconds after midnight on 7th December 2007. I somehow doubt that was when you first or last ran sbackup, seeing as you are using Natty.

By the way, did you see my last post? You posted only seconds after me and may have missed it.
    I posted the message you refer to seconds before your first post mentioning nautilus. Here is alist of the sub folders
    base
    excludes
    excludes.list
    files.tar
    format
    includes.list
    packages
    sbackup.2007-12-07_00.51.35.208822.log

sbackup confirms source but 2000 and when???

I go get nautilus and stop posting for a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Geezanansa View Post
    Here is alist of the sub folders
    base
    excludes
    excludes.list
    files.tar
    format
    includes.list
    packages
    sbackup.2007-12-07_00.51.35.208822.log
    Yes, I see. Those are sub-folders within the 2007-12-07_00.51.35.550873.user-desktop.corrupt folder. Just use the gksu nautilus browser to delete everything inside each one, remembering to use shift-delete, and you should be OK.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thx coffeecat my hdd has now 77.5gb freespace (much healthier than 1.8gb!)

I closed nautilus file manager/browser but terminal window still open and get a process still running warning when i try to close terminal. How do i kill gksu nautilus process from teminal?
    I guessed "exit" but no worky.
    Last edited by Geezanansa; June 30th, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: colouring in the picture

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Geezanansa View Post
    Thx coffeecat my hdd has now 77.5gb freespace (much healthier than 1.8gb!)

How do i kill gksu nautilus process from teminal?
    I guessed "exit" but no worky.
    Excellent.

Close the root nautilus window and the prompt should return to the terminal, after which you can close it. I suggest you also reboot. Opening a root nautilus affects the desktop (which is part of nautilus) and there is a theoretical security risk. At least until you have restarted nautilus by rebooting. Logging out and in again may be sufficient, but it takes a couple of minutes only to reboot.

Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Close the root nautilus window and the prompt should return to the terminal, after which you can close it. I suggest you also reboot.
    The prompt did not return to terminal after closing root nautilus. The terminal gave a process still running warning when i tried to close terminal then tried typing "exit" in terminal but no worky...

I have been having booting probs ie grub crashing, having to log in twice etc etc All this can be tweaked out as everything gets configured just really enjoying learning how to...

thankyou coffeecat for your time i have now uninstalled the back up app and have a usable hdd. What back up app or software do you use on a desktop system? or what would you recommend for backing up system and data files?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Backing up personal files I do the old-fashioned way - simple copies to 3 generations of physically separate media. There are various GUI frontends to rsync in the repositories that you could explore - rsync allowing you to copy just the differences.

For backing up systems I use tar, but that necessitates having to be able to restore UUIDs. Many people use clonezilla which can clone whole partitions or systems.

Beans

wow coffeecat i just check thread having breakfast and you post one minute ago!!!!!
    Your time and effort really is valued and appreciated. Now I can get on with ironing out other probs. Backing up is an important desktop maintenance/administrative need and loads of info available. Since getting my first pc a couple of years ago I have neglected the need for backing up...
    Just when I think of backing up this image of mountains of floppies/disks looms for some reason..
    Thought since trying new os may as well spend time trying to get into good habits.
    The hdd in my system is old and small. I invest in newer and bigger hdd as well as an external hdd using the old hdd for system back up and the external for personal. I just thinking out loud. Chow for now meeoww!!!

Fortuna favet audaci: Fortune favours the brave

Beans

thanks coffecat!
    i was in the same situation with sbackup and i've learn the holly nautilus here from your post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@realzob, welcome to the forum. Don't hesitate to start your own thread if you need help with a problem with Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast