Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Series 5 Chromebook on Ubuntu?

Beans

Samsung Series 5 Chromebook on Ubuntu?

This notebook appeals to me for afew reasons. The SSD, the dual core processors, screen size and price.

Amazon.com said I can return it within 30 days.

Does anyone have anything I should know on the laptop itself?

I'm not interested at all in Chrome OS.

thanks!!

Jim
    Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD

Beans

Re: Samsung Series 5 Chromebook on Ubuntu?

Apparently this guy did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjNlec45ly4

BUT HOW

Beans

He says this...." i followed the instructions for installing ubunutu on the cr-48".

Now I have to find these instructions....

thanks

Jim

Beans

I'd like to just give the SSD to Ubuntu, and wipe out Chrome OS, isnt the install the same for any other computer? Just wondering why is it necessary to follow the cr48 instructions.

I have not found those yet.

Beans

You can find everything you need to know here: http://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Home

You can't just install Ubuntu like any other system because Chromebooks don't have a normal bios and cannot boot from USB. I have Ubuntu on my Series 5 and everything works great except I haven't been able to get the 3G working yet.

Good luck.

P.S. If you want to know what the script is doing, it's everything from these instructions: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...ntu-on-a-cr-48

Beans

Thank you! Are you running dual boot, or does Ubuntu have the whole 16gb?

Beans

I'm dual booting. It's not possible to give Ubuntu the whole 16GB without installing a new BIOS which requires taking apart the Chromebook. The Ubuntu you'll be installing will still be using the Chrome OS kernel so you have to keep it there for it to work. If you want Ubuntu only, you need to look into installing a new BIOS. There's one called Lugi, but as I said it involves taking apart your Chromebook and voiding your warranty. It's also not tested on the Samsung Series 5 so flashing the new BIOS will probably brick your system.

You can dual boot Ubuntu and give Ubuntu up to 10GB of space if you think you'll spend most of your time in Ubuntu. That only leaves around 1GB of space for Chrome OS. However, Chrome OS doesn't need much space because it only using it to save system setting and cache. The default Ubuntu install will take up around 2.6GB of space.

Again read this link to find out more: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...ntu-on-a-cr-48
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; July 8th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Beans

This is a little deep for me, when my Chromebook gets here, I'll have to return it unopened.

Too bad, dual processors, 12" screen, SSD (non spinning wheel!) and $429....

I'm willing to do a little hacking, if I can do it without blowing the warranty.

This is more than I can do myself.

You really saved me a huge headache.. I'm really glad I came here and asked.

Thank you!

Beans

It's pretty disappointing that there don't seem to be any normal netbooks around these days with chromebook like specs for anywhere near the price, let alone free internet.

Beans

You know, that's not really true. Along with my Chromebook, I also own a Asus 1215P-MU17 which has -basically- the exact same specs as the Samsung Chromebook but which cost about $70 less vs the WIFI only version. Yes, the Chromebook uses the N570 processor vs the N550 in the Asus; and, yes, the Chromebook comes with 2GB of RAM vs the 1GB of RAM found in the Asus, but you can always upgrade the Asus to 2GB and still come out ahead cost wise. The Asus is really a nice netbook. You have the same size screen as the Samsung Chromebook but with a better resolution, and you still get some really good battery life. About the only thing I really like more on the Chromebook is its SSD. But even then, the 16GB SSD in the Chromebook probably isn't enough space for your average Ubuntu install once you start adding on programs, documents, videos, music, ect...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast