Thread: Counter-strike crash wine/play-on-linux (yes, i've searched))

Beans

Red face Counter-strike crash wine/play-on-linux (yes, i've searched))

hello, i'm using play on linux, which i guess has wine built into it now? on ubuntu 9.10

i'm running an asus p4s8x-x with a p43.06ghz oc'd @3.22ghz and ati radeon x1600
    ubuntu seems to be running well with the video drivers it came with.. however i presume this could be the problem, i'm not quite sure how to install, or do ANYTHING in linux...

i can do anything up to joining a game... the second the game is about to start it crashes, and my screen resolution is changed.

i've tried in full-screen and windowed, installed fonts(for whatever reason...),and tried a few of the walk-throughs out on the interwebs...

i'm not an idiot... but, i feel like one right now..

please... i just wanna relax and play some games... my computer wont run xp boot disks, and i just cant bring myself to try and use floppys...

so i had to install ubuntu, and i like it, its fast, sleek, and free!

but... no games makes me a dull boy... please help

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Counter-strike crash wine/play-on-linux (yes, i've searched))

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ch View Post
    my computer wont run xp boot disks
    Why won't it?
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Hidden!

hello, i'm using play on linux, which i guess has wine built into it now? on ubuntu 9.10

i'm running an asus p4s8x-x with a p43.06ghz oc'd @3.22ghz and ati radeon x1600
    ubuntu seems to be running well with the video drivers it came with.. however i presume this could be the problem, i'm not quite sure how to install, or do ANYTHING in linux...

i can do anything up to joining a game... the second the game is about to start it crashes, and my screen resolution is changed.

i've tried in full-screen and windowed, installed fonts(for whatever reason...),and tried a few of the walk-throughs out on the interwebs...

i'm not an idiot... but, i feel like one right now..

please... i just wanna relax and play some games... my computer wont run xp boot disks, and i just cant bring myself to try and use floppys...

so i had to install ubuntu, and i like it, its fast, sleek, and free!

but... no games makes me a dull boy... please help
    Install Steam from their website and use wine to configure it. Play On Linux seems to have an outdated version of Steam and it doesn't work well.

Beans

xp boot disks say "no emulation" apparently now i have a problem with my bios, although i've installed xp atleast 5 times on this machine...

i guess i just need to do some more reading...

Beans
    Hidden!

xp boot disks say "no emulation" apparently now i have a problem with my bios, although i've installed xp atleast 5 times on this machine...

i guess i just need to do some more reading...
    No you probably deleted your recovery partition when installing Ubuntu. Now you will need a complete working install of the OS. Too bad as I was going to recommend installing VirtualBox and using XP installed there to run your game.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

Question Re: Counter-strike crash wine/play-on-linux (yes, i've searched))

sorry i'm on my phone. What is this full install? Cant i just make a partition on the drive in ntfs through ubuntu? Or burn a disk with a downloadable image? I can't say i will pay for xp at this point... Just because i lost the disk i lose the license?