Thread: Messed up fstab

Beans

Messed up fstab

Hi guys.

Well, I am definitely a newbe, so I am sure someone out there will be laughing their pants off over the trouble I brought myself in.

I was trying to mount some network drives, I found this post:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

and thought I was home free. I tried to do what it said, but apparently messed things up big time in the process. Now my Ubuntu partition starts up with the command line and I cant get into the GUI and I can't edit fstab back to what it originally was (I can edit the file using Editor, but can't save it (even after starting Editor with sudo). If I can start up the GUI I can probably find my way through the mess I have created. But why oh why does it suddenly start up with only the command line?

Hopefully someone can guide me on my way.

Thanks.

Thomas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Messed up fstab

Hi, if all you did was edit fstab and it failed - boot into recovery mode - that is the second ubuntu option.

It'll take you to a small menu - choose root, no need for network. Edit the file with the cli editor

nano /etc/fstab

undo your changes - save the file with ctrl+X, Y, Enter.

Then type reboot and enter

Beans

Hi.

Thanks for your input. It went all fine until I tried saving fstab. It then tells me that he file system is read-only. I find that strange. When I am in root - recovery mode, am I not super user?

Thomas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by twhansen View Post
    Hi.

Thanks for your input. It went all fine until I tried saving fstab. It then tells me that he file system is read-only. I find that strange. When I am in root - recovery mode, am I not super user?

Thomas
    You should be. I assume you tried with sudo as well just to see.

You could try and do it with a livecd - you'll need to mount your partition - click on the appropriate one in Places.

Obviously not just /etc/fstab as that would not be your install one - it'll be /media/something/etc/fstab if you try and do it with nano.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another problem could be that the changes are making it mount as read only, you could try.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    (pretty sure that's right, on my phone so I can't check the man page )
    Help me out! Go make a dropbox account from this link to get me more space! https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU2ODUyNDY5 (You get the bonus space too!)