Thread: Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3gs with no service.

Beans

Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3gs with no service.

Hi,

I've successfully jailbroken my girlfriend's iPhone 3gs.

The phone had no service. She switched to a cheap local-only carrier which did not do iPhones, so her current phone is a cheap blister pack phone.

Now she wants to put the iPhone on T-Mobile. The T-Mobile guys want it jailbroken and unlocked first. I got it jailbroken by tethering it. Now I need 2 apps on there and I have no service so I can't get them there.

Repeat, this is NOT the NO SERVICE bug that happens when you switch service on an otherwise active phone. The contract has been expired for months, so there is no fix for it.

I have joined my wireless N network, but to no avail.

I have at my disposal a Mac, an Ubuntu box and a Vista box. Any method any of you guys know will be an immense help.

I also tried jailbreaking my iphone but its firmware is too new and it won't break. Maybe tomorrow. I thought maybe I could break mine, download some apps, transfer them to some PC and then move them to the GFs phone. That didn't work either.

Thanks.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3gs with no service.

In order to help you, I need some information about both, especially your gf's phone. What firmware versions are they running (i.e. 4.3.3, 4.3.4, etc) and what baseband are they on. The current unlock runs on only a specific baseband.

When you are in the jailbreak scene, never, ever, update to the newest version of Apple's firmware. It does bad things (i.e. getting rid of JB, unlock, etc).

Also, I think you may get better response somewhere like the MacRumors forums.

Beans

Re: Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3gs with no service.

Thanks for the response.

Don't have the phone near me right now but we went to T-Mobile and got help. The phone is unlocked, it has a sim card in it for T-Mobile, and supposedly she has service. But....

Now, she can make calls but can't get them, she can send text messages and pictures but not get them. Interesting.

I think we're past the Linux forum now and on to T-Mobile support. I managed to get things half working by looking on the net, but it's only half working.

Interesting point though, the jailbreak evidently installed some sort of Debian on the phone. It's using Debian tools to load and unload packages, complete with scribbling console messages across the screen. Very non-Apple looking.

Not sure why but that makes me smile.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!