Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White screen of death???

Beans

White screen of death???

So I had Ubuntu installed for a little while...but it was on a desktop downstairs and it didn't see my wireless USB. I finally got one that it would recognize...however after using the internet on Firefox (version that came with 9.10...not on it now obviously) if I open a second view in the browser I get the "White Screen of Death" in about 20 seconds. In the "White Screen of Death" is a little box that has thin colored lines in it. Also, it does it even when I'm only in one 'view' and had tried to open up the source for other software downloads.

Ironically when I did a 'Paw Kettle' and strung a long CAT5 cable down to the desktop from my upstairs router / hub it had done the same thing. I just assumed that it was due to a conflict with the wireless USB and the wired port. Ok...maybe assumed is the wrong word...how about prayed?

Please understand and keep in mind that I have 0 programing background and have no real experience with command lines. So any help you would be gracious enough to give will have to be for someone just above a tech moron.

Thanks in advance...

Chad

Beans

Re: White screen of death???

The first thing I would do is to turn off desktop effects. (system>preferences>appearance>Visual Effects --> off)

Did you do any updates after the install?
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    The first thing I would do is to turn off desktop effects. (system>preferences>appearance>Visual Effects --> off)

No updates...I'll try the effects thanks!

Beans

No updates...I'll try the effects thanks!

======

Ok...did the update...and then right away...White Screen of Death.

Any more ideas???

Beans

what brand video card do you have?
    Did you enable a proprietary driver after installing (like ati/fglrx or nvidia)?

Beans

what brand video card do you have?
    Did you enable a proprietary driver after installing (like ati/fglrx or nvidia)?
    Nope...had not done that. I have NO idea what the video card is...is there an easy way to see that info in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA
    will give it to you I think, it works on my machine...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flippo View Post
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA
    will give it to you I think, it works on my machine...

Ok...I turned off enhanced graphics...and tried to type in this code...but nothing.

I'm assuming the code should be typed in the format area.

I have an ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 video card...I booted windows XP to find that. I did a little google search on this card and ubuntu and it seems like I may yet again have a problem as I have 9.10 installed.

I may have to reconsider my thought process as it appears Ubuntu is more work than I was looking for...I really don't have the time to play with all these things...and the more I go down the road with this the more I realize that it's not just getting past the initial set up.

Let me know if I'm wrong on that. I just wanted a MORE STABLE OS to put on an old desktop the family could use to check weather, email, internet, and maybe play a game or two on. Also it is in the kitchen area so my wife and I could monitor the kids web usage as they get more into that. XP seemed to need a restart every time we tried to use it...even if it was just a day between uses.

There was also a video editing software that I wanted to use that looked promising. But unlike XP where it's not stable...Ubuntu seems to be designed for someone with IT experience that I don' seem to have.

Beans

The radeon express 200 is no longer supported by ATI's propritary driver (even on windows) The problem is that the last version that did support that card will not work in recent versions of ubuntu.
    The open source ati driver has come a long way these past couple of months, and although the driver that comes with 9.10 is somewhat stable, it still has some issues. Hopefully the driver that comes with 10.04 will be rock solid.

Ubuntu is not going to be a replacement OS for everyone. Gaming is still very weak on ubuntu, and most games require some sort of hack in wine to work.

If you decide to go back to XP, it is understandable...I would say give 10.04 a try when it is released in april. (The april releases tend to focus on stability, while the october releases focus on new ideas)

Beans

The radeon express 200 is no longer supported by ATI's propritary driver (even on windows) The problem is that the last version that did support that card will not work in recent versions of ubuntu.
    The open source ati driver has come a long way these past couple of months, and although the driver that comes with 9.10 is somewhat stable, it still has some issues. Hopefully the driver that comes with 10.04 will be rock solid.

Ubuntu is not going to be a replacement OS for everyone. Gaming is still very weak on ubuntu, and most games require some sort of hack in wine to work.

If you decide to go back to XP, it is understandable...I would say give 10.04 a try when it is released in april. (The april releases tend to focus on stability, while the october releases focus on new ideas)
    So here is the million dollar question...is the White Screen of Death due to my ATI video card?

If so is there a reasonable priced replacement card that IS supported? I can change out hardware fairly easily...it's the software / command lines that I get into trouble with it seems.

IF...IF....IF I knew that replacing that video card would fix the issue I'd be willing to do that.

As for games I mean like Cheese, black jack, little stuff like that...not like high end POV shooters or anything like that. Pac Man and Space invaders would be more our speed. : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast