Thread: Cannot connect to wireless using wicd

Beans

Cannot connect to wireless using wicd

I am running Natty on a Lenovo T410. I can connect to wireless with no problem using the panel applet but not using wicd. syslog shows it trying to get a DHCP address and finally timing out with no lease offers. I think a big clue is that if I monitor wlan0 using wireshark I get no traffic at all when it tries to connect, whereas with the applet I see the dhcp traffic. It seems as though wicd is connecting to the wrong wlan0. Running "dhclient wlan0" directly gives the same behavior as wicd. I need to use wicd because I typically run enlightenment so can't use the ubuntu applet.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot connect to wireless using wicd

I can connect to wireless with no problem using the panel applet but not using wicd.
    I rather suspect that they conflict; sort of like four hands on the steering wheel. I suggest you remove the panel applet altogether:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manage*
    Reboot, click Wicd and smile.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

terminal:
    start networking
    (or maybe thats backtrack...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by trizrK View Post
    terminal:
    start networking
    (or maybe thats backtrack...)
    Are you running Ubuntu? Please try it and let us have your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Bingo! start networking did it. I can't believe it was that simple after all I've tried ..

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tomns View Post
    Bingo! start networking did it. I can't believe it was that simple after all I've tried ..

Thank you very much.
    No problem.
    And if your wireless connection wont start automatically when you login try this:
    go to System>Preferences>Startup Applications (This is if you're running GNOME or 'ubuntu classic', if you're running Unity the defult window program just type in startup applications on the top left search bar) then click "Add" name it something like 'network startup' and add this command: networking start . Hope that helps
    cheers