Thread: Where now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Where now?

I have been installing and using Ubuntu from 8:04 and have enjoyed my learning experiences with the various changes as the distribution developed. They all improve on the version before.

I have been able to create beautiful desktops and operating environments that I am happy with and have impressed others with sufficently enough that some are now using Ubuntu.

Suddenly it all has changed. With 11.04 I can no longer find anything as the menus are hard to locate. The window controls are forced to the left, which as I work with MS Windows causes me confusion. (I know you can change them to the right but I have not been able to do this with the task bar). Compiz also causes no end of crashes in 11.04, to the point that a total reinstall is the only option!

I like Ubuntu up to to 10.10 but to me the future looks bleak.

I want an operating system that is not too dissimilar from the main stream and certainly not making changes that make it uncomfortable to use if you have to use other operating systems at work.

I want my window controls on the right, I want my compiz features to work, I want my menus to be available and my desktop options flexible.

Am I alone?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Where now?

No, just join the rest of us leaving Ubuntu and switching to Xubuntu!
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    No, just join the rest of us leaving Ubuntu and switching to Xubuntu!
    +1. I'm using Maverick with Xfce (not strictly Xubuntu, but works the same), and my next upgrade will probably be to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.

At the same time, with 11.04, you can use the Classic GNOME UI if you want (select it from the bottom menu when you log in), although this feature will be removed in 11.10 I think. Similarly, you can customise the Unity UI to your liking (restore the app menu to your windows, remove the launcher and get Docky or panels, etc), to get it more GNOME-y. That's the joy of Ubuntu, if you don't like it, you can sure-as-hell fix it.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crme Ubuntu
    Beans

I haven't used Unity yet since I stay with LTS releases, but I see a lot of "love / hate" going on about it.

You might consider backing up to Lucid, the latest LTS, and letting Unity mature a little more, then try it again.

I need to get my other projects caught up so I can give Natty a try and see whether I love or hate Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I see, on the internet, there is a lot of talk about avoiding Unity and/or Gnome3 by using Gnome 2, however, none seem to realise that if you stick with Gnome 2 you will never be able to move on.

I also now see that Ubuntu is slipping in the ratings.

It looks as if I need to change my desktop, something I have not thought would be necessary, but there we are. It is all very disappointing and certainly does not make me want to push the Linux ideal to others as I have done in the past as I am not as confident as I was with the product.

Thanks again,

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I don't think that there is a need to be sad at all. Ubuntu is just one among several hundreds of Linux distros. Trying a selection of them is a healthy process which can give a lot of insight.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So what is forcing you you to "move on" at this point. Ubuntu 10.04 will be supported for another two years, no need to move on if you stick with the last LTS. In a couple of years, look around and I'd bet Unity is a lot more useful and customizable by then. If not, jump ship to KDE. I intend to stick with 10.04 or 10.10 until Kubuntu 12.04 comes out and then jump ship to KDE.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You are not alone in using a support part of the forum for having a moan. The community cafe is the place for putting opinions. And I do not think that you will be the last person to resurrect a tired or dead topic.

As the man says, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Except that we do not pay any money. Do we?

I am staying on for the ride.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530