Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission Possible: Computer needs CPR for Hospital, Help Please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mission Possible: Computer needs CPR for Hospital, Help Please!

Hey everyone,

Ok, if you all can help I would very much appreciate this! My mother is in the hospital and she is going to be there a few days or more . I have an old laptop I ussually use for command line stuff, but I want to be able to connect through skype to her. The problem is the computer is prolly 15 years old, LOL. It is a netbook-laptop. I need to find the best way to tweak the crap out of this thing to get it to run as well is it can. here is what I am working with. I am not even sure how to get info for hardware, but maybe some of you do.

Specs:

Dell Latitude X200

What I need:

1) Graphic drivers, I don't know where to check for the hardware info. I am assuming that it's the standard card still in it considering it's a laptop.

2) Audio drivers if they don't come with OS iso. I am sure alsa mixer will work tho.

3) A "readyboost" - Linux style option, which I have a feeling is going to be a swap area, but if there is a better more efficient way to do this I would love to hear it. I have a USB 2GB thumb drive I wanna use for ram that I think given the age will work better then the old chip in there anyway.

4) Right now the hard drive is wiped, there is no operating system. I much like everyone can download any Linux OS, but I need to find the best, user friendly, light weight option possible. My mother isn't 100 years old or anything, but she's not as savy as me to say the least with computers so something easy to use would be a 50/50 with performance. I was thinking of putting on Ubuntu 9.10, but if there is an equivalent of say "Win XP Lite" out there I would love to try it.

Anyway I can over clock this thing, tweak it out to make it more efficient is good. I mean this is a dinosaur I am not going to pretend it's anything other then what it is, but she only needs entertainment and I want up to date min by min communication with her and I am home on my computer all day so this seems like it will work.

Anything anyone can think of would help a lot!. I plan on getting back to her in the hospital as soon as all this stuff is worked out and I can bring computer to her.

Thank you a head of time!

Z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mission Possible: Computer needs CPR for Hospital, Help Please!

Sorry a head of time for the possible multiple bumps I might do, but I not want this thread to get lost and I wanna get back up there asap.

Beans

You could try Slitaz, Damn Small Linux (not developed any more but still available afaik) or Puppy Linux.
    If you want to stick to the ubuntu family, your best bet is Lubuntu.
    If you think you can manage it, you could try an Arch linux installation with Openbox as the desktop manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was looking just now at Lubuntu with adding aviant windows manager for her so she can navigate really easy. But, from what I understand, Lubuntu doesn't have much to it hence the lightweight. I do need the drivers for the display. Any chance someone could help me find them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, she likes farmville on FB. is there any linux sourced game like that I can install for her?

Beans

About the drivers: why don't you check out with a live cd/usb and see if your graphics and sound card are recognized automatically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

most linux will have a default video card something in it. but on my home computer for example I needed to install extra drivers to get special effects working. I was wondering if this would be needed for this cause I am going to load movies on it so she can watch them via VLC.

Beans

The pc, being quite old as you've mentioned, is more likely to have all its problems solved (linux wise) than your (newer I presume) system.
    Give it a go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks!

Also I found this for the "ready boost" a posting on here....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395435

Looks promising, but if she disconnects the USB drive will it kill the OS system? If so, can someone help me with a Terminal App that I she can click to turn that on and off?

Beans

You don't need this kind of solution (read the last post on that thread).
    The machine has 30gb of space; you can make your swap partition 2gb or something and everything will be fine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast