Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu or Lubuntu More Lightweight?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Xubuntu or Lubuntu More Lightweight?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    ...There is little difference between Gnome and XFCE, however, there is significant difference between XFCE and LXDE.
    I would describe Xfce as "Gnome Lite." But I would not say that there is "little difference!" There are BIG differences! I find Xfce to be much, much lighter and faster and more intuitive for me than Gnome was.

In fact, even on my old hand-me-down 'puter, I found no noticeable difference in speed between LXDE and Xfce! 'Cept that Xfce had lots more features, configurability, and versatility than LXDE.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I suggest you try both out and see which one works best, but I went with Xubuntu. Much more user friendly in my opinion, and not much notable difference in the speed and lightness of it. Just try them both and see which one works best for you

Beans

Re: Lubuntu needs a diet, it is grossly obese

I would like to try them both, but, the newest iteration of Lubuntu, i.e. released for download a couple weeks ago, exceeds the capacity of the blank Verbatim CDROM's.

This is rather peculiar, not only because it would seem obvious that the size has exceeded the 700 megabyte capacity of the blank disks, but also because EARLIER versions of LXDE, including alpha releases from a couple of months ago, were NOT excessively large.

From a marketing perspective, it does look clumsy to release a distro that won't fit on the intended media....One wonders whether the engineers may have miscalculated some other aspects of the distro??? In the best case, it looks sloppy. In the worst case, the excessive size conveys the impression, at least to me, that folks in Ubuntuland, simply added some stuff to the Gnome version, and sent it on its merry way, one supposes without much testing, and certainly, without much thought.

But, apart from that, this is a thread which asks: XFCE, versus LXDE, which is "more Lightweight". (great question, by the way, at least in my opinion.)

So, can anyone explain to me, WHY the LXDE (supposedly "light weight" version of Ubuntu, IS LARGER than the burly Gnome version of Ubuntu (which, however, is ALSO too big to fit on a 700 MByte blank CDROM, but, it is nevertheless, less obese, than LXDE.)

CAI ENG
    (yes, you are correct, I am a tad blimpy myself, or, at least, too verbose!!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ooO0Ooo, duplicate thread!

File size is not what is being referred to when we talk about "weight."

"Lighter" means that one desktop environment is less demanding on computer resources (RAM, processor) than another.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lubuntu needs a diet, it is grossly obese

Quote Originally Posted by caieng View Post
    I would like to try them both, but, the newest iteration of Lubuntu, i.e. released for download a couple weeks ago, exceeds the capacity of the blank Verbatim CDROM's.

This is rather peculiar, not only because it would seem obvious that the size has exceeded the 700 megabyte capacity of the blank disks, but also because EARLIER versions of LXDE, including alpha releases from a couple of months ago, were NOT excessively large.
    I think that during the Alpha & Beta stages various _buntus (all D E s) have at some time exceeded the capacity of CDs. I think it's 'cos they are alpha/beta that this happens. Once RC is reached and beyond, then I think it's back to CD capacity again.

Size of the download though does not equate to speed of the D E as dixiedancer has already said.

Beans

If you want the fastest/lightest look into a minimal openbox install with tint2 and gtk components. Like the old crunchbang who has now switched to a debian base.

Warning it will require a bit of work to figure out how you want it set up. So stage the install in a VM first.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tjones00 View Post
    If you want the fastest/lightest look into a minimal openbox install with tint2 and gtk components. Like the old crunchbang who has now switched to a debian base.
    I was going to say the same thing except that I would need to somehow sneak thunar from xfce 4.8 on there too!

I switched 2x between Xubuntu and Lubuntu (I feel like I am in exile after the Unity coup) and settled down on Xubuntu. It took me 30 minutes to make it look and behave the way I like it.

I still think that Ubuntu Lucid Lynx was the best Linux ever (for me anyway).

I can't understand Unity, Gnome 3 and I don't like KDE. If XFCE follows the suit I will give up computers and go live in Alaska

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know it's an old thread but couldn't resist to vote for Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I agree, Lubuntu 11.10 is way faster than Xubuntu 11.10 and perfect for my usage
    WWW: fabioparri.it
    Twitter: fparri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast