Thread: Webcam & Mic Capture, Video Editing Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cool Webcam & Mic Capture, Video Editing Software

First off, I'd like to apologize if this has already been asked or solved, because I did a pretty thorough search (or so I thought) and have found nothing.

What I would like to achieve:
    I have a USB microphone (BLUE Snowball) and a webcam (Microsoft LifeCam - USB -not sure which model) and Ubuntu 11.10.
    I would like to record videos of myself singing (into said microphone) for upload on youtube with background accompaniment. I have the backing track I need. I know how to do this normally in a program like Ardour or Audacity, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if it is possible for me to capture from a webcam, record from a mic, and have a sound playing in the background.
    I keep seeing these youtube videos of people singing and they have the backing track mixed in with the video. Assuming it is impossible to do what I described above, I do know how to at least be able to monitor the song through headphones and record a video with mic input instead of the webcam's sound input. Then, theoretically, all I'd have to do is mix in the backing track in a video editing program.

Problem is, I have tried EVERY video editor in the repository (the default one? Still kind of new to the terminology for this) PiTiVi, OpenShot, Kdenlive, Kino, and even LiVES. ALL of them either work at first and then crash (OpenShot), don't work at all (KDenlive won't even start up for some reason), or crash while trying to import video.

I have gotten recording from mic input and capturing webcam to work perfectly fine using guvcview, and the results are magnificent (after some tweaking), but every video I've loaded that I've recorded this way crashes the video editing software I've tried.

Is this just a hopeless cause? Is there any way to make my first idea happen, or am I right and I'll have to monitor the track and mix it in later? And if so, what software can I use that is noob-friendly (Doesn't have to be completely noob-friendly, as long as there's a wiki or SOMETHING that'll answer questions I have if it isn't idiot-proof) or at least has nice forum users so I can learn how to use it?

I'm getting rather desperate here.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can contribute.
    -Xiao

Beans

Re: Webcam & Mic Capture, Video Editing Software HELP!

Been no replies in a year, not looking good.

I am trying to do something similar.

I have a cheap webcam for the video and i'm looking have a realtime link up with the mic from my turtle beach X11 headphones. Best mic i have unfortunately, but its decent quality.

Is there a way to link them both to record at the same time?

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Webcam & Mic Capture, Video Editing Software

perhaps the sound settings will allow you to chose which microphone sound input to use.
    I found this one out when using google voice. For that I use the builtin mic in the webcam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Nice one, i'll give it a shot

Thanks

Beans

Cheese works and plugging in the mike from the headphones straight into the input jack works a treat. Panic over.

Cheers for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Old thread closed.