Thread: Multi-Button mouse configuration 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Multi-Button mouse configuration 11.04

Hi,

I'm running 11.04 with unity. and have a logitech m705 mouse, which has a few extra buttons. on my mac i can link them into expose and spaces etc... and i'd love to do the same in ubuntu with the desktop wall etc...

i read this article:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

which was gd. but the example at the bottom is quite lacking... with no explanation. Would anyone be able to help me? for example how could i make 1 of the extra buttons(like the forward and/or back button) bring up the desktop selector (desktop wall)..? or wer I could find more examples of how to change the mouse buttons and i could play around with the settings myself...?

Thanks
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Multi-Button mouse configuration 11.04

further research into the subject found this article that helped greatly! hope its useful to others lookin to jaxx up their mouse

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/28/how...tons-in-linux/
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

I'm new to ubuntu (and linux).

Background:
    I just installed and one of the first things I wanted to do was get my mouse going properly. I have two MX 610 cordless mice from Logitech. Normally I like to reconfigure the browser forward and back buttons to ctrl-w (close tab) and ctrl- (just ctrl so I can use it to control-click to open in a new tab without using keyboard). I also adjust the scroll wheel to scroll a whole page for each click (become pagedown).

The other buttons I've thought about using to send me to the desktop or launch an app.

Right now it does nothing.

Problem:
    I tried finding the "btnx" app androssofer linked to, but it's not in the ubuntu 12.04 software center. Then I tried to terminal it with "sudo apt-get install btnx" but was told "Unable to locate package btnx."

Is there another program that can do this OR a way I can get btnx?

Help much appreciated,

Richard

Beans

Logitech G700 with imwheel installed and back/forward buttons set to Generic Button in setpoint

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the mouse section:

Code:
    Option         "Buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    in /etc/X11/imwheel/startup.conf:

Code:
    IMWHEEL_START=1
    IMWHEEL_PARAMS='-b "0 0 0 0 6 7"'
    to make back and forward buttons work in web browsers