Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my Installation corrupted?

Beans

Is my Installation corrupted?

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 via an old CD then right to 10.10 and 11.04 a few months back. Immediately there were issues.

Unity wouldnt work despite getting a command line off another forum. right-clicking the desktop and the tab to adjust the display settings was missing. the latest update removed google chrome and knocked me off the internet. I'm also unable to access the little internet icon on the panel to see whats going on. I know almost nothing about command lines so please keep it simple. i'm using an old 10.04 live CD to post this btw.

thanks in advance. really should stop messing but i never learn

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is my Installation corrupted?

if you can get the grub menu (hold "shift" key down at bios end process to see it) then boot on "recovery mode" and select "repair packages"

if it fail, then better to do a clean install again

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...28&postcount=2

Beans

i can't get online to download anything. as for the GRUB menu isnt that only when you have multiple operating systems? this is 100% linux

I tried to download a copy of 11.04 and burn to CD while it was still a beta to show my brother and it refused to do so. Also refused to let me install meaning i had to wipe 10.10, install 10.04 via CD and upgrade twice to 11.04. Not sure if i was using the wrong link or version or what

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

grub is needed of course, as its the bootloader (all Os on earth need one)

Beans

hmmmm well... got to where is said GRUB menu loading then gave me an out of range message. Did the same when I tried to upgrade direct from 10.10 to 11.04 beta as it was then. Hence me having to get rid of the lot and use my old 10.04 CD. even CTRL+ALT+F3 didnt get me into the command line this time. Used to give the same out of range message then auto-correct and load the GUI. Now it doesnt even do that

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Since you are running from a 10.04 live CD, the quickest way to make the machine functional again would be to simply re-install 10.04 as a clean install -- assuming that you do not have anything on the drive that you want to keep. You could then download the 11.04 ISO file, burn it to disk, and re-install that.

The problems of being unable to download, or to burn the disk, would be totally separate from those you now have, and probably would be simpler to solve.

Your description of the current situation suggests that you do, in fact, have some corrupted files. It's not totally uncommon when upgrading to new major versions over existing installs, and the 11.04 version includes some very major changes. In such a case, locating and fixing the damaged areas might well be an extremely slow operation!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

thing is what of this out of range message? it seems to be a common issue. I don't want to go through all that bother and just have the same issue. There was a solution on this forum listed here but I only understood part of it and it requires the ability to get into the command line. This has not been possible now and when i used the software centre to force an upgrade to 11.04 Beta as it was then. it just rebooted after the install and immediately screwed up

Beans
    Distro

The "out of range" message is probably generated in your monitor itself rather than in the computer, and in any case indicates that the signals being fed to the monitor are outside the range that it is able to accept. There's no indication whether the signal involved is the vertical sync, the horizontal sync, the dot frequency, or the refresh rate -- it could be any of them.

All these signals are generated by the video driver, and when you get that message it usually means that the video driver is not compatible with your monitor. However that's not always the case. Modern monitors send information back to the driver software during the boot process, and if that information isn't exactly what the driver expects, it may not be interpreted correctly -- resulting in an out of range situation. I have exactly that situation here, and have had to work around it.

All recent versions of Ubuntu rely on automatic detection of monitor and video card characteristics, rather than using the xorg.conf file, and this can lead to such situations. However the software will use an xorg.conf file if it exists, rather than the automatic detection. That's what I had to do: create a file with the correct data.

Unfortunately doing this can be rather complicated, and it will very from one system to another depending on exactly what hardware you have, so I can't give you detailed instructions that will solve your problem. All we can do is lead you in what we hope is the right direction. I'll go back over all of these posts and see what other information we need to get you started...
    --
    Linux Counter #259718

Beans

much appreciated. I was thinking about installing 10.04 on another partition and using that to get me started and just authenticate this account through the command line if i can get my head around it. That was i'd get an automatic GRUB menu instead of having to try to force it with the SHIFT key and can input the commands listed on that other thread. In any case i'll hold fire till you'd had a look and in the meantime borrow my brothers memory stick just in case I need to wipe the lot

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I see that you can get to "GRUB menu loading" but then freeze up with the "out of range" message. That indicates that at least part of the problem is in the boot loader itself, which makes things more difficult.

It's possible to get access to the files on your hard disk when booted from the live CD, and fix them, but having two different versions of the system makes that trickier and I don't know exactly how to do such a fix. Instead, at this point I would boot from the live CD, use it to download the current ISO file for 11.04, and burn that to a new live CD. If you have enough RAM available, you ought to be able to do this by loading the burner program, then swapping the 10.04 CD for a blank before doing the burn. Once you have an 11.04 CD, boot from it and we can proceed from there to repair the GRUB on your hard disk so that you can get to its menu. It's fairly complicated, but each step isn't too bad...

Don't try to use that beta copy you already have; beta software always has bugs of some sort, and we're dealing with enough problems already!
    --
    Linux Counter #259718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast